Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W50 oil pressure

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W50 oil pressure
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2022 12:14 
Rail Meat

The oil pressure on my W-50 is increasing. It's now about 75psi. Use to be ~50.
Any suggestions as to why it is increasing and what should I look for and check out.
Ralph

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W50 oil pressure
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2022 15:06 
Skipper

Mine is north of 65 near 70 with new gauge. I always expect 40-50 psi on these old beasts, like with a 4-108, so I don't have any answers. Maybe the oil pressure sending unit? I'd like to hear where everyone else is at.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2022 19:14 
Skipper

Mine was 75psi for 20+ years until I removed the oil cooler. Now it settles at 50psi

Chip
Esprit

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2022 07:07 
Skipper

Anyone else want to chime in? Likewise I can't seem to get the water temp up to 150F after an hour of running at 1600 RPM.

I'm used to 40psi and babysitting 180 degree water temp gauge on older engines.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2022 05:44 
Skipper

For the water temp maybe your thermostat is the wrong temp or stuck open? For the oil pressure maybe the oil cooler oil line is slightly plugged putting the pressure higher?

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022 10:59 
Skipper

For the thermostat, I hadn't run the engine under any strain. She went to 178.5 and stayed there for 10 hours straight as long as we stayed at or below 2000RPM. The one time it went over 180 we had to light her up to 2200 with a ferry bearing down on us with horn blaring in 100' vis. fog on Penobscot Bay. The oil pressure varies between 50psi and 70psi depending on how hard I run it.

Oil went down to the lower notch on the dipstick, but no leaks. Transmission fluid I may have overfilled (hard to see on the dipstick). It shows full, but we had a cup in the pan after a day of motoring. There seems to be a small leak at the gearshift lever. I'll have to see if there's a seal in there somewhere someday.

Teeny, tiny fuel migration leaks at some of the fittings. Everything loosend up a tiny bit after 10 hours of vibrating, crank the banjo bolt and the fuel filter bolt back down and hit all the fittings and hose clamps. She's good for another 10 hours. Rinse, repeat.

Coolant only comes out through the overflow and just a few drops. Someday I'll put in an expansion tank.

Don't like the belt dust at the alternator, but there's nothing I can do about it. I'd have to take the alternator off (Balmar 100) and figure out shims. Can't do anything with the water pump belt as far as I can see.

New Blue Sea ACR is great. Coordinated with (the youngest figured out the programming and found the little programming tool) Balmar external regulator the Balmar only puts out what you need, the ACR puts it where it needs to go, then stops charging when the battery banks are right and the Balmar backs off. All new panel instruments, too. If the youngest wasn't a 12V, radio, emergency vehicle, nav instrument, lojack, instrumentation freak I'd have been screwed. I'd still be figuring out the panel to engine wiring. OK, so he's still in my Will. Well, if he comes down and finishes the wiring and instrumentation on the Dyer 29 in St. Thomas next month.

She hummed from Winterport, Maine, to Boothbay Harbor, Maine running an average of about 5.9kn over ground (we got a 10' + tide, so you get some serious variation and slow down when tide is against you).

Had to adjust the throttle and set that at 700 RPM idle. Had to adjust the gearshift so it was in the right position at the helm.

Other than that, next shot is across the Gulf of Maine to Sandwich, MA, hopefully sailing on Thursday. Wind switched to Easterly yesterday after it cleared and enough to sail on. The second I started to roll out the headsail my son pointed out it was flat calm again. Motor runs like a champ.

Oh, and Ipad with Navionics is . . . a life saver. These 12 year old Raymarine instruments. Eh. Even figured out the AIS on the radio. That came in handy with the 100' vis we had to deal with until after noon. Islesboro ferry was scary coming out of the fog at the beam. The 5 ferries running out of Rockland I figured out their schedules and vectors and FLEW through there. About the same time I figured out the AIS.

But we used to do this with just paper DR and a watch 25+ years ago. Thing is, I haven't sailed the Coast of Maine since around 2000, and haven't owned a sailboat since around . . . 2010? It all came back quickly.

It really stinks when weather and time don't allow for shaking all the bugs out of everything.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022 11:18 
Skipper

Thanks for the follow up. I hope the rest of your trip goes well.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022 11:27 
Skipper

You haven't lived until you've dodged lobster warp and toggles from sunrise to dark in a pea soup fog. My hands are swollen from white knuckling all day.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2022 17:26 
Skipper

Safe travels, those lobster pots are world famous.

My W50 after a rebuild, without a oil cooler, ran 50-60 psig.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2022 06:30 
Skipper

Pointing at Sandwich, MA for a 33 hour run Friday night-0 dark thirty out of Boothbay. Northerlies predicted, so maybe we can cut that time back a bit with the sails. Picked up another mike for the helm from Hamilton Marine to replace the Standard Horizon with the burned out screen. It's a bit of a pain to keep jumping down to the nav station to look at the VHF screen for AIS targets. Grabbed some longeyes and chartplotting tools as well. Might as well set up a DR, figure out the compass deviation and go with it.

Picked up a real 3" x 1/2" clevis pin from Grainger for the gooseneck. I don't like having a top pinned straight (without head) pin in that gooseneck. Those little cotter pins wear out eventually. That would be bad.

Also grabbed some 6" and 8" cleats for the boom and mast, respectively, machine bolts and a tapset. I used all 4 sheaves at the masthead (new spares for main and headsail) and the stock cleats are really insufficient in size to begin with. Only one cleat on the boom, so a couple more strategically placed would be helpful.

Haven't done up a compass card yet. The Richie seems to be 30+ degrees out of whack on a SW course. I've got a new Richie Powerdamp onboard (for the lobster boat) I got for short money last year. I think we'll survive.

I'll report back with the precise fuel burn for Sunday's motoring. I just didn't want to fill up in the rain. I've got 25 gal on the rail and, with the exception of dock running while messing with the engine prior to the Boothbay trip, put over 50 gal. in the tank. 25 gal showed just over half a tank, but it's a weird shaped tank. The fuel gauge has only gone down to the full slash mark just below the "F". Either it's not using jack for fuel or the new sending unit isn't quite right. Fuel remains crystal clear in the Racor. Not using any coolant, a little tranny oil spillage (overfilled?) and tiny bits of fuel sheen on the engine here and there, but none going into the pan.

Profile Email