Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Jabsco vs Sherwood Water pump W50

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jabsco vs Sherwood Water pump W50
PostPosted: 26 May 2022 22:27 
Skipper

I currently have the Jabsco raw water pump 5320-0011 installed on my motor and have been having quite a struggle with impellers for the last 7 months.

I have replaced the pump and multiple impellers (around 6). Each time the failure is the same the impeller spins on the pressed fitting. I believe I got a bad batch because all of the impellers are the same date code from Jabsco. They are sending me a new pump and 5 new impellers under warranty. Frankly, the design of a pressed fitting on the rubber is terrible. There should be a key. It keeps spinning at that interface. The failure mode is usually the same, the impeller runs fine, shut the motor off and restart later and the impeller spins with no water coming out immediately after startup. I switched to an older impeller from 2013 and that one ran fine until it cracked a vane earlier this week. All of the impellers with issue are manufactured in 2019.

I am able to press the shaft out of the rubber section by hand. I'm doing an experiment of epoxying the impeller back together because the vanes are fine. I know the cooling system is fine as I have been completely through it and I also just replaced the exhaust elbow. This only started happening after a routine impeller change for preventative maintenance.

It's so bad, I'm considering switching to the Sherwood pump because it is keyed. R30G-1. Has anyone migrated from the Jabsco pump to the one from Sherwood? Do I need to modify anything or change pulleys etc.?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Jabsco vs Sherwood Water pump W50
PostPosted: 27 May 2022 18:54 
Skipper

I had a similar issue with my Jabsco. Bet I went thru a dozen impellers, most spun the hub. Some I got free replacements. After a while, I thought something isn't right and started ripping apart the SW cooling system. First elbow found two impeller blades stuck and removed the heat exchanger for a cleaning. Reinstall with fresh impeller and went 3 years. The motor also ran cooler.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Jabsco vs Sherwood Water pump W50
PostPosted: 27 May 2022 21:08 
Skipper

I did an experiment with the "bad" date coded impellers vs an older one. I was able to separate the hub from the vanes easily on the bad date code impellers. On the older date coded impellers, I wasnt able to successfully get them to separate. I really think it's a manufacturing problem. Since the older impellers aren't failing, I have one older impeller in another pump that has a leaking shaft seal and that one has worked flawlessly. Just need to replace the shaft seal, but I don't want to until I can get a different date coded impeller.

I glued up a bad date code impeller with some gflex epoxy and will try running that one if this most recent impeller fails. I've tried different pumps, gone through the heat exchangers, engine temp is fine etc.

Profile Email