Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Checking the Negative cable

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 03:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Checking the Negative cable
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2022 14:00 
Skipper

Ladies and gentlemen,

Once again, having my boat go aground due to Hurricane Sally has turned out to not be the disaster it seems a first glance. The wife and I decided to replace the house batteries with a LiFePo battery. The new lithium battery does not have posts like the old batteries did so I needed to remove the clamp connections and add lug connections. And to do that I had to remove the cable from the boat. AND OMG!!!! The 42 year old cable was way past it's life span. So we replaced it entirely with new 2ga wiring. Pictures of the old cable are attached. I don't know if this was saltwater induced corrosion or over starting the engine heat stress. Doesn't matter. It just needs replacing.

Attachments:
IMG_20220411_111233533.jpg
IMG_20220411_111233533.jpg [ 2.74 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20220411_111229366.jpg
IMG_20220411_111229366.jpg [ 3.15 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Checking the Negative cable
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2022 17:43 
Skipper

Yikes, guess we should all check.

Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Checking the Negative cable
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2022 09:56 
Skipper

This is an old post, but a really good point. I had trouble with my windlass not always responding to the switches. I also had trouble with the Yanmar electric stop not working. I never put together that these issues might be related and spent a lot of time going through all the electrical connections in the switches, rebuilt the reversing solenoid, and every connection in each system. Finally, found that the ground to the engine block (in an engine I had carefully installed ten years ago) was ridiculously corroded and was the source of all my electrical problems. Nigel Calder starts his trouble shooting efforts with suggesting you check this. Had I done that, I would have saved myself an enormous amount of work and frustration. Occam's razor. I found the same problem on another boat I have: the basic ground to the engine was corroded. This makes sense if you think about it because current is going through this connection just about all the time and the opportunity for corrosion is there and will screw lots of things up. FWIW. Check your grounds first.

Profile Email