Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Bleeding the deisel...

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bleeding the deisel...
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2006 10:55 
Skipper

After a fuel filter replacement we always have fun with the bleeding process as laid out in the manual. It never seems to happen the same way twice and rarely on the first attempt.

This year we tried something my father heard from a boat neighbor. I cranked the engine while he sprayed some fluid (not starting fluid... I think it was WD40) into the intake. The engine ran on that until the fuel system had purged all the air.

Two things though...
- It sounded awful with a rythmic bang about 3/sec.
- The guy spraying has the only throttle control. He got carried away at one point and the engine was reving up pretty high. I realized at this point that being at the controls meant that I had absolutely no control. Shocked Fuel cutoff would do nothing, throttle would do nothing. So communications with the guy with the spray is critical.

Anyone know if this is a safe operation? It was a whole lot easier but I'm a bit skittish about using it for next year. If it's not damaging the engine in anyway then it's a great thing.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bleeding the deisel...
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2006 10:12 
Skipper

I still have the manual pump to bleed the engine with, but some people install a 12v fuel pump for this reason. All they do is crack the highest injector screw and activate the fuel pump and presto.....in theory. One time while trying to make it into a jetty with high winds and rough seas, the engine conked out due to low fuel and air getting sucked into the fuel lines. We turned tail and sailed away until I could get the air bled out of the system.....fun stuff in a hot engine compartment and the boat slamming into rough seas....moral of the story... keep fuel tank topped off.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2006 19:08 
Skipper

that doesn't sound pretty at all. Though we don't have that problem so far. We rarely get close to consuming the full tank in a season.

Tom has a bleeding tip sheet from the web site that he can post in here now that the permissions are fixed.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2006 01:14 
Skipper

Rainbow has an electric fuel pump installed by the p.o. It works like a charm. Change filters, crack open one injector, and the engine kicks over 1st try.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006 19:57 
Midshipman

I bought the video from Bennett Marine Video on Diesel Engine Maintenance, and also bought the W50 tech manual. While the video didn't have the W50, after watching them show how to bleed several different brands of diesel engines, and referring to the manual, I bled the engine and re-started it the first time. In the video, the show 3 different nuts to loosen until the diesel begins to bleed out. After the 3rd one, I started the engine and it fired right off. Haven't heard of the method you mentioned. However, I will say that my wife did not enjoy pumping away on the little handle on the other side of the engine.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2007 01:59 
Rail Meat

After years of having to bleed the fuel system thru the injector feeds, I have learned (1) to replace the filters before the vacuum gets high enough to stop the engine, and (2) to bleed through the bleed nut on top of the seconday fuel filter mounted on the engine (W50). This works about 80% of the time and I don't need to mess with the injector feeds.

Rejoice
T37 #24

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007 20:04 
Skipper

I have an electric fuel transfer pump ($50 at an auto parts store) that I put between the tank and the Racor. Really works like a charm when you change filters or need to bleed. Ridiculously easy to install. Do not use teflon tape on the fuel line connectons. I have a toggle switch in the engine compartment so I can turn it off and on while watching the engine.

I had to bleed the engine manually once after being off Cape San Martin (California coast) motor sailing in a seaway when the engine quit about a mile off a lee shore (trying to avoid a head current). Was single handing and had to put up a jib and tack out with a beam sea while I attempted to bleed the engine. Interestingly, the problem turned out to be a clogged fuel tank vent. But I never wanted to be trying to bleed an engine in that situation again--I considered the pump a safety enhancement. But it is worth it just to be able to top off the Racor at element replacement.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2007 08:33 
Skipper

I have an electric fuel pump installed upstream of the Racor filter also. It works great, and can also serve as a backup to the mechanical lift pump if that fails. Be sure, however, to install a bypass line around it that should be open when the pump is not in use. If the bypass is not installed and open, the electrical fuel pump (and its internal filter, if it has one), will become the prefilter to the Racor, which can easily become fouled.

Jim Voelxen
Odyssey #191

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2007 06:35 
Midshipman

My Westerbeke deaker set me up with an electric fuel pump. He had two recommendations: first he gave me a second oil pressure switch to use to power the fuel pump. It switches on as soon as there is oil pressure. This way if you lose oil pressure it also cuts the fuel supply. In hind sight this would also lead to rebleeding the engine, but that's better than a new engine. Second, the wiring must be sized for 10 amps. this is also why the standard oil pressure switch is not adequate as it will not handle the amps. I just added the oil pressure switch to the same manifold as the original. The electric pump is between the Racor filter and the secondary filter just like the old mechanical pump. I also have a switch in the engine compartment to run the pump for bleeding the lines. Sure saves time in bleeding.

Jammin' #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2007 06:44 
Skipper

The oil pressure swith on my Westerbeke ruptured and the oil went quickly all over the engine compartment. I was able to shut down the engine in time, but it was a mess to clean up. The failure was due to vibration from the engine. This pressure switch should be remotely mounted to avoid the vibration issue. This was in a service bulletin put out by Westerbeke. The failure occured somewhere around 1800 hours.

Profile Email