Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - water pump belt tension westerbeke 50

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: water pump belt tension westerbeke 50
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008 13:21 
Navigator

Does anyone know how much belt tension to put on the water pump for the w50? I have a sherwood brass pump and when bolted up the driven sheave will have to be set at the very end of the shaft. I am concerned about the overhung load on the single bearing pump so I just kept the belt tight enough to stay on without too much slapping. Seems like the wrong pump for this motor. It is larger enough however it only has horizontal adjustment for belt tension not lateral adjustment for sheave position. thanks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: water pump belt tension westerbeke 50
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008 18:41 
Midshipman

Carl,

On my W50 I have a Jabsco pump #5320-0011. It has lateral and horizontal adjustment. There was also a good posting on this site about proper tensioning. I don't remember the subject but you should be able to search for it.

T37 #231

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: water pump belt tension westerbeke 50
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008 09:06 
Skipper

I just replaced the raw water pump on my W50 with a Jabsco#5320-0011, which is identical to the original. When I checked the alignment of the belt pulley on the pump with the drive pulley on the crank shaft I found that I had to move the pump's pulley axially (outward) by about 1/4" to get good alignment. Said differently, the shaft of the pump is now recessed by about 1/4" from the outside face of the pulley at the shaft hole. It sounds like you may have the same issue. I don't think the pulley on the original pump was offset this much, but the new pump's dimensions are the same as the original, so I am assuming that it was never properly aligned. From my experience, the water belt pulley doesn't have to be very tight since its load is quite small, in particular compared to the alternator.

However, I am very interested if anyone else with a w50 has to set the pulley outward to achieve the proper alignment!

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email