Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - fun with packing glands

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fun with packing glands
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2008 22:16 
Midshipman

One of the items on my pre-launch list include repacking the packing gland, as I have been unable to get it to stop weeping to an acceptable level.

So after 4 broken/mangled picks, 5 busted knuckles and several hours of practicing my best naval speak, I was able to remove 2 - 3/16" and 1 - 1/4" rounds of flax. There's still one to go.... Looks like my shaft might need to be separated from it's coupling for that last round, oh joy, at least I get to clean and paint it, where's that list again?

So I have both 3/16" and 1/4" flax packing in the gland. I assumed it would be easy to figure out the correct size easily by removing the old packing, so much for that theory.

To me it appears the previous owner or his mechanic decided that removing all the packing material was too much work, and to just remove the first layer and replace it with 2 layers of a smaller size. Or maybe at some point someone put in 1/4" packing when it should be 3/16, and thats why I'm going to my physical therapist tomorrow to restraighten my back after todays "fun" with boating experience.

Has anyone repacked their packing gland, and if so, do you know what size was the correct replacement? I have a '84 with a W-33, I believe the shaft is 1".

Thanks!
Glenn

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: fun with packing glands
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2008 02:33 
Skipper

Does not sound fun. Good luck with the recovery.

Wish I could help you but I haven't been in there (yet). I'm kind of hoping that some kind soul (you) will share the info before I need it.
Cheers

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2008 08:34 
Skipper

I have repacked mine, but it's been many a year....Don't remember the size. I installed the PYI packless shaft seal several years ago and it has been working great....no dripping; although, if it ever fails...major water intrusion Shocked

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2008 19:07 
Skipper

My 1" shaft used 1/4" packing. I believe that's the standard for this size of shaft - if you are not sure measure it with some calibers.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 May 2008 23:12 
Midshipman

Well it took a couple of hours, but I got the last ring out. Had to pick it out thread by thread with a pair of mini needle nose pliers, fun... I am convinced that the last 2 rings were the original 24 year old flax. Postal

Attachment:
packing mess.jpg

packing mess.jpg [ 132.67 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Re-packed with 3 rings of 1/4" high tech GTU goretex packing along with some Teflon grease, and it all went back together smoothly, so I'm guessing that's the correct size. Launching on Wednesday, so we'll know soon enough!

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2008 01:03 
Rail Meat

Hi - you probably solved your problem, but I had the same problem a couple of years ago. After repacking properly, I have had no trouble at all with the stuffing box. I havent had to make any adjustments in two years. After considering replacing it with the PYI dripless, I no longer feel the need to make the upgrade. Although I hear the PYI dripless is a good product, they too have been know to fail and its not a simple fix. Cheers!

Profile Email