Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Coolant Temp Switch W50

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant Temp Switch W50
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2021 21:31 
Skipper

My coolant temps switch is starting to go bad. One of the terminals has a 25k path to ground so it sets the alarm off in the cockpit. I switched terminals to prevent it from going off since a leak to ground on the grounded terminal won't flow any current unless the switch is closed.

It looks like the Westerbeke part number is 13382. normally Open 1/2 NPT I believe. The Westerbeke part is 90 bucks. Does anyone know of an alternative part that would work?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Switch W50
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2021 08:39 
Skipper

Funny I am just going through this now, my engine is the W40 but the same part number. I have replaced this temperature switch 10 years ago when it started going bad and it worked until now. I put this one and my older funky one in water, heated it up and checked the water temp on a heat gun. I also had a multimeter checking impedance on both, the oldest bad one would start closing (infinite impedance to about 50 ohms) when the temperature started to go up. The 10 year old one that has just gone bad worked better but started closing at 170 F which is too soon. So I just ordered a new one ($123 in Canada!). I could not find a suitable replacement, if you find one please let us know. There is another Westerbeke part number (39550) with different threads that I though could be adapted but in the end it is a normally closed switch at about 1/4 the cost so would not work in our circuit. I think these things are a bit of a wear item but like having it in place so will continue to replace it,

Richard

Profile Email