Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Heat Exchanger Removal

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heat Exchanger Removal
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021 10:37 
Skipper

Does the exhaust manifold have to come of in order to remover the heat exchanger from the W50? I have a hole the raw water exit nipple so I have to either get it brazed or replace the exchanger. I don't think epoxy in place will work.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Removal
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021 12:04 
Skipper

Yes. Take the valve cover off, pull all hoses, and the manifold is attached to the block with a series of studs. Maybe leave the valve cover on so you don't get scuzz into the rockers, but you have to take it off to lift the manifold. Maybe 5 bolts, with one on each end and 3 in the middle? Back out the nuts from above as far as you can and it will lift off with the heat exchanger attached. You should probably get to Northwoods Tractor and get a new manifold gasket. I don't know where you get the gaskets where the heat exchanger attaches to the manifold - you may have to cut them.

I sprayed mine w/PB blaster some for a couple days ahead, and tried to clean the threads so I wouldn't be backing the studs out. I don't think there are HOLES for those studs in the manifold, as I recall, they're just u-shaped so you can lift the manifold straight up and off. Do some 20# curls each arm for a few days ahead of time.

I bought a new heat exchanger from Mr. Cool and a gasket set from Northwoods. You may be able to get just the manifold gasket, but I wanted to replace the valve cover gasket and some others as well. I'm going to have to cut new gaskets for the heat exchanger attachment.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2021 16:52 
Skipper

I have a small hole in the inside curve of the heat exchanger nipple on the exit side. I suspect the compressed hose connecting the heat exchanger with the oil cooler was plugging the hole and thus no leaking. Since I bypassed the oil cooler, the hole opened and I get a small but definite stream of cooling water when the engine is running. I am having enough trouble with the boat getting ready for something of a sailing season that I decided to try and plug the hole with epoxy (I used JB Weld for the first time!) and see if it would hold until I haul this winter. I am also noticing wetness in the area where the rudder plate (4 bolts) sits. I guess that is coming apart this winter as well. 2-1/2 years ashore with no attention is a bad thing!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2021 06:39 
Skipper

JB weld might do it. The wet area around the "rudder plate" bolts is a low point, so it takes a minute to figure out if it's coming in from above or below. Mine the 4 bolts were set on flat washers, no lock washers, no nyloc and were disconcertingly loose when I took it apart. That's a backing plate with the pintle plate attached underneath the hull, cinched up with the 4 bolts tack welded to the outside part. That has a 1" round post on the other end and a delrin bearing sits on that post (pinned to the post) and inserts into the rudderstock. Then it all goes up at once and you catch the nuts in side. Matter of fact, I'm working on deck hardware & windlass today, and have to call someone to hold my nuts.

Profile Email