Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Oil cooler bypass

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil cooler bypass
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021 05:46 
Skipper

Those of you who have bypassed the oil cooler on the W-50, are you able to remove one of the oil lines and connect it to the engine block where you removed the other or is a new hose or fitting required? My hoses are relatively new so I am not worried about degradation.

Thanks

Chip
324 Esprit

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Oil cooler bypass
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021 09:59 
Skipper

That's funny, I just barnacle bustered my oil cooler and was sitting this weekend with it in my hand and looking at the oil lines and wondering. I think you'd simply jump from one side to the other, but . . . I can't remember . . . my mind was on getting the injection pump off . . . seems as though I was looking at getting a new hose made up long enough to go from the oil filter assembly back into the block on the port side.

I guess my question, without looking at it right now, do you jump from side to side or from the filter assembly to one side?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021 15:56 
Skipper

I didn’t realize the ports were on opposite sides of the motor. Fro some reason I remembered getting both lines from the quarterberth. That would answer that question. Need to have a new hose made up. Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021 12:15 
Skipper

One line off the block base and one to the . . . I'd have to look. Two lines out of the oil filter, 2 lines out of the block and 2 lines out of the oil cooler, one IN one OUT on each. Now I'm wondering about . . . no, there's an oil line on the base of the stbd side of the block . . . I just can't remember where they all run. Automotive parts store can make up high pressure lines with correct end fittings. Take in the old ones. And if cutting out the . . . I have to go to the boat, dammit. You know, some of these W50's came with a spinoff filter hanging off the starboard side of the block like any other engine. But there was still an oil cooler.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2021 16:41 
Skipper

So, my "older" BMC 1800D "exemplar" has an oil cooler that's attached to the freshwater side of the heat exchanger. So no salt water in oil cooler. Looks like a simple jump from about 6" up on the stbd side from the bottom of the block over to another fitting on the other side slightly lower. But . . . oil filter . . . have to go look again . . . yeah. Oil filter is standard screw-onto block stbd side just below the 2 aft glow plugs. Not the separately mounted unit as on the one in the boat. I think I'll run down to the boat. Must know now. Seems as though an oil cooler freshwater cooled might be worth having. But I defer to those more knowledgeable about such mysteries. I can absolutely see getting the saltwater away from that thing.

So the BMC 1800 in the garage you would just jump side to side. Now I need to see the one in the boat again . . . CAV pump is in for rebuild, injectors for molestation. That 3rd bolt in the back of the CAV pump is a friggin' monster - until you find just the right knuckle and socket and hold your tongue just right.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2021 16:44 
Skipper

Yeah, I ran to the boat after work. With the separate oil filter assembly mounted aft on the engine, the stbd line coming from the block goes into the oil filter assembly and the port side goes into the other side of the oil filter assembly. Onliest way ah kin see it would go. Makes sense. But I'm wondering . . . if . . . FW cooling the oil cooler (if you weren't to remove it) would solve any issues with saltwater core degradation. Or does the oil cooler really do anything at all?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021 05:48 
Skipper

Is there actually any reason to take the oil cooler out of the oil circuit? I think the problems with it stem from the cooling water flow, not oil flow. I'm thinking I can just disconnect the cooling water hoses, hit the cooler inside with WD40, fill it with oil and cap it off. Then just replace the hose for cooling water with one that shorts that circuit. Thoughts? I think that is just what Maineiac is asking?

Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021 06:29 
Skipper

I don't think just the cooler would do much of anything without water flow. I think the point was, as discussed here and elsewhere, that the actual efficacy of the oil cooler is quite limited, and any failure of core would be catastrophic and the risk outweighed by the benefit. But on one of my W50's the cooling is accomplished by the freshwater side of the system. On the other W50 it's connected to the saltwater.

The upshot seems to be unless you go for a larger, freshwater cooled unit, the pittance of heat dissipation by the stock oil cooler accomplishes little in the overall scope of things.

Hence, plumb crankcase to oil filter assembly from each side and Bob's your uncle.

Profile Email