Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Coolant Expansion tank, manifold cap lb. pressure?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant Expansion tank, manifold cap lb. pressure?
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2021 08:32 
Skipper

I've got these 2 W50's, neither of which came with an expansion tank. I think I'll put one in. Hang it, high in the engine bay, attach it to the output at the radiator cap. One of the radiator caps is 4#. The other one is 16#. Which is closer to correct? The cap on the engine in the boat is the 4# one.

Oh, and quick source for 1 7/8" O.D. exhaust injection elbow? I can't find where I found them before.

Edit: I'm going to go with 1.5" NPT and weld in a nipple on the downhill side. The manifold is cast iron, the pipe is iron, why would I put a piece of cast aluminum in the middle of that and run salt water through it? It worked for years on my Volvo MD2B. Comments?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Coolant Expansion tank, manifold cap lb. pressure?
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021 04:24 
Skipper

I think 4# is closer. I think mine might be 7# but it is absolutely not anything over 10. As to the exhaust elbow, I had a friend make one for me (he had a machine shop). Either stainless or monel. 1-1/2” threaded pipe with a 90 degree elbow. The elbow has a nipple welded in place for water. It has been there for over 20 years now.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Coolant Expansion tank, manifold cap lb. pressure?
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021 06:07 
Skipper

Thanks. I've recently "discovered" stainless npt. If the threads are the same, I guess I need to crank that piece of steel pipe out of the manifold. Been hitting it with PB Blaster for a week now.

Profile Email