Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Heat Exchanger Removal (done)

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heat Exchanger Removal (done)
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2021 08:31 
Skipper

So I have this "exemplar" W50 sitting in my garage and I figured I'd take the heat exchanger off as "practice" before tackling the W50 in the Tartan in situ. Glad I did. The whole manifold has to come off, then take the heat exchanger off that. I saved myself a world of time. Disconnect all hoses to manifold and heat exchanger. The two end bolts on the manifold come all the way out, then loosen each of the other 4 bolts between those 2 and the manifold lifts off (after removing the valve cover).

So I figured I'd clean and redo the heat exchanger. It needed it. Steel end cap bolted to rather than the grooved rubber duck on the one in the boat. Got it off, wiped it down and proceeded to remove the zinc in the end of it. The entire threaded fitting on the heat exchanger just fell off in my hand on the first light turn. NFG.

Which leads me to getting the Mr. Cool heat exchanger and not looking back. While my boat was fresh water 95% of it's life, if the existing heat exchanger is salvageable, I'll simply clean it up and paint it as a spare.

Took apart the raw water pump as well. Absof'nloutely shredded impeller inside. But the Sherwood pump seems good, so pull the pulley, press out the bearings, rebuild, repaint and put away for a rainy day. Damn things are pricey.

Now, the oil cooler. Anyone want to comment on that? I mean, if I take it out altogether and plug everything for Caribbean cruising, am I asking for trouble? Does it really do much of anything? There is limited space in that location if the suggestion I've seen of upsizing is considered. I'm just leery of eliminating a cooling system part that was original in the design of the engine. Someone had to think it was useful.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Removal (done)
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2021 23:46 
Skipper

Mr Cool heat exchanger is a very good unit, a great deal and is four pass. I could never get my W50 to overheat and I was over pitched. You do not need the oil cooler. Mine failed and caused an early engine failure of the W50. I talked to TransAtlantic Diesel, during the rebuild and Marcus talked me into getting rid of it, not needed and a liability. After the rebuild I ran the W50 for 17 years without the oil cooler in Va, no problem. They are very small, made with thinner metal than the heat exchange. So not as strong, can fail a couple ways and will take out the motor in a second.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021 07:53 
Skipper

So how did you plug the connections to the oil & water? Just brass plugs? I was contemplating a Mr. Cool oil cooler . . . Caribbean you know. Figured one might be useful, but if TAD says so . . .

So I THINK I have 2 different heat exchangers. There's the 11830 (I'm guessing at that number) and the 11830-15. One of them (off the spare engine - the one I broke) is almost 15" long. It has a bolted end cap. The one on the engine in the boat I haven't measured yet, but it has the rubber end cap. Mr. Cool is explicit that they are definitely not interchangeable.

There's also a transmission cooler on the "spare" engine. But it's a different tranny as well. A bunch of stuff (oil filter, etc.) is in different locations on the "spare." Once that stuff is off for replacement/renewal I might add a new lift pump, take off the high pressure injection pump and get BOTH of them redone - mostly just the fuel cutoff stem and throttle stem O-rings are of concern.

I took apart the Sherwood pump on the spare. Holy crap - those things are $700.00 new. I'm trying to determine whether the Jabsco rebuild kit will work with it. I can't find a Sherwood rebuilt kit for that particular belt driven pump. Sherwood was U.S. and Jabsco Mexico build. The pump is turning free, but feels like it's dragging a little. The impeller was totaled.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2021 08:57 
Skipper

Jasbco and Sherwood are two totally different pumps. Is something cross fits it's pure luck.

If the oil cooler is removed the lines need to be jumped with suitable hoses, very important for proper oil and water flow. .

Lift pumps are cheap and we had two fail. Easy to replace, carry spare. They can fail two ways. If you pull a vacuum you can unseat the diaphragms and they can leak fuel into oil sump.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email