Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Yanmar vs Beta

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yanmar vs Beta
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2021 14:47 
Skipper

For those of you who made the conversation from Westerbeake to Beta, what influenced your decision? I have read Ray’s technical write up and his various emails supporting the argument to go with Yanmar and I am curious.

Chip
So Esprit #324

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Yanmar vs Beta
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2021 22:02 
Skipper

There is a well respected mechanic in Norfolk, Va. He sells both, I talked to him and my choice was made. Beta.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2021 07:31 
Skipper

First, I'm going to posit that the Yanmar cost hp for hp is noticeably greater than Beta. You can get adapter mounts for the Beta. I believe with the Yanmar (I've installed a 2YM20 and a 3YM30 in different boats) you're talking some sitting, staring, jig building and engine bed cutting/refabricating.

It's a sailboat. Proper maintenance on the Beta, with infinitely less expensive parts (Kubota), should serve you well.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2021 08:21 
Skipper

Yanmar parts in PR, VI and BVI prices are obscene. For a simple filter I recall they wanted $35.00 where the same thing was on the shelf in Florida for 25% of that. The "dealers" between those jurisdictions are all hooked up with interwoven pricing agreements. Years ago you could go to PR and save thousands.

I remember I had to threaten to drive my GMC 2500 through their warehouse doors to pick up a 3YM30 I had fully paid for, including shipping. The business owner was "off island" and the people there needed his authority to release the engine to me. He was gone for 2 weeks. It had been "shipped" to the "dealer" after I bought and paid for everything Stateside. But my guy made the mistake of drop shipping it out of Mack Boring in NJ. The "dealer" wanted his cut. I got the engine after revving the truck a couple times, with a snide "nyah nyah you have to warranty." I got a warranty without their participation, but never needed it.

Yanmar and Yamaha are fully protected, ridiculously protected dealerships. There ARE no "discounts." And the price differential between Stateside and down below was about 30%. It's how things "wuk" down there. I had a go-round with Mastry as well on another Yanmar. On the two engines, I saved over $5000 by staying away from the . . . "dealers."

But Yanmar (and Yamaha) build great products.

Profile Email