Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - I Can't Help It

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 06:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Can't Help It
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021 16:06 
Skipper

So, instead of the Beta, I decided to spend $300.00 on a running take out W50 (with operational gear) that has a new starter on it. Parts. Have the injectors rebuilt (if necessary) and the injector pump fondled. Clean up, paint parts and have the transmission gone over and grab everything I need for spares. Has a good alternator, solenoid and many other parts you can't buy anymore. Might as well get intimate with it and focus on the Cummins Reman for the lobster boat instead of worrying about the Beta. Must sail, must fish. Done.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: I Can't Help It
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021 22:01 
Skipper

I think you made a good decision. I actually do not recall ever hearing of someone wearing out the block components of small diesels-it is usually the marinization parts that cause the problems and fail (heat exchanger, exhaust mixers, etc). I found the weak point in the W50 was the small, original oil cooler (some say it is unnecessary--needed attention). Also, getting that cover on the heat exchanger just perfectly was a challenge. All the other maintenance issues were standard. I drove mine 3000 hours with a leaky rear seal. Leaked about a half cup every 20 hours and never got worse or better in all that time.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: I Can't Help It
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021 06:08 
Skipper

Thanks for your input, Ray. I'm afraid if the "spare" W50 hadn't come up so cheaply and changed my mind (she's a bit of a running rust ball) we'd still be on the Beta. But I have a DD 4-53 to get out of the lobster boat and take delivery of a spanky new/old Reman Cummins with new ZF gear. I think we're moving toward shipping both boats down out of Newport on DYT to the Caribbean (better if I work rather than spend a month or more sailing down) to put into controlled day charter service in December. Or captained overnights (no bareboat except under certain circumstances). This place is nuts now, with no Covid issues, and America WANTS to get the hell out. I expect the "Roaring 20's" redux coming up next tourism season. And I'll have both toys here to do what we do. The fish cops chased about 40 Puerto Rican yachts out of Magen's Bay yesterday that were rafting too much for their own good. Rules are rules, but they all headed towards Culebra, probably they're waking up in Culebrita with the cooperating direction of swell right now.

Profile Email