Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - beta marine (again)

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: beta marine (again)
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021 22:14 
Skipper

Maybe you know more about alternators than I, but I ran a 105 alternator on my W50 for several thousand hours. I am not sure what the max output I got off it or what my demand was because I did not have a shunt and battery monitor back then. But thinking the loads are similar to my new arrangement, I would argue that the new "smart" external controllers would never pull anything near the rated amps from an alternator into 400 ah battery bank for more than a few minutes. Has to do with heat sensors on the alternator and on the batteries (if you have those options). All this also has to do with acceptance rates of the batteries and heat limitations of your alternator stuffed in that tiny compartment. I think the manufacturers are a bit fanciful about their output capability under any but the most ideal circumstance. I also think that modern external regulators just do not run wide open for very long--if at all. I like serpentine belts--i think the reason to have them is about bearings in your alternator and water pump and the longevity and reliability they are able to produce without over tightening everything.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: beta marine (again)
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021 06:16 
Skipper

The previous owner of my boat told me the big Balmar & external regulator didn't really kick in until RPM's were well tuned up. I figure proper charging can occur if I set this up using the Honda EU2200 generator, but I'm trying to figure out what the proper alternator and charging system might be for ample house power/starter setup with the v-belt, lacking any possibility of serpentine system, and maybe sell the Balmar.

Profile Email