Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Westerbeke W33 Raw Water Pump Relocation

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 02:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westerbeke W33 Raw Water Pump Relocation
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020 09:00 
Rail Meat

I have a W33 in my Tartan 37. The raw water pump is mounted on the back side of the front gear housing. This makes it almost impossible to change the impeller which must be done via access panel in the quarter birth. To change the impeller, I remove the entire pump from the motor, change the impeller, and remount the pump. Not a very good process.

In looking at the engine, there is a access blank on the front side of the front gear case that looks the same as the rear pump mount. I would like to relocate the pump to the front of the engine. I am worried because it seem so obvious to mount it there in the first place that I can't imagine why it is mounted facing back? Does anyone know if the pump can be mounted on the front? Is there an issue with the pump rotating in the wrong direction? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have been investigating but so far no joy.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Westerbeke W33 Raw Water Pump Relocation
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020 09:19 
Tactictian

i am not familiar with the 33 as I have the 50. The manual clearly mentions taking the pump off in order to remove the impeller. A real pain I know and the access isn't great at anytime on these boats.The raw water pump is mechanical drive not pulley driven so I have trouble visualizing the other mounting position.
https://www.westerbeke.com/technical%20 ... 20rev3.pdf

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020 17:12 
Rail Meat

I'll try to get some pictures. I think it will fit on the front of the timing gear case (now it is on the back). I'm just wondering if it would make the pump rotate backwards and if that is an issue. The pump is mounted facing rearwards on the back of the timing gear case. There is a matching port on the front of the case in the same position. It looks like it will just bolt on. I guess I'll take the plate that covers the port in the front off and have a look. Thanks for your feedback.

Kevin

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020 05:54 
Rail Meat

So, unlike the parts schematic I was looking at, the drive gear in the timing case that drivers the pump only has the drive shive on the back side. To change the pump I believe you would need to open the case and turn the gear around. And I'm not sure that is even possible. So, I guess I continue taking the pump off to change the impeller.

Cheers
Kevin

Profile Email