Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Heat exchanger cap

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heat exchanger cap
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020 09:42 
Rail Meat

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase the rubber heat exchanger end cap for my Westerbeke W-50 engine.
Part #23169
Hansen Marine in MA does not have any.
Any lead of a possible supplier either new (preferred) or used would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ralph
T37 #310
Eschaton

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Heat exchanger cap
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020 11:45 
Skipper

Here is a "maybe".

https://www.mrcool.us/accessories/end-caps.html

And if you get desperate for something to do, they sell replacement heat exchangers. Me? If I need a new exchanger, the yard gets to do the work.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020 12:47 
Skipper

Mr Cool end caps and gasket won't work on the Westerbeke unit. Their heat exchangers are very good. I replaced my and was very impressed, never had a problem with overheating after and we were over-pitched.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2021 08:36 
Skipper

A new exchanger is pretty easy to install... take off hoses, unscrew the manifold... the two end screws come all the way out, the two in the middle are loosened and almost out. the manifold can then be lifted up and off the engine. You'll then be able to replace the exchanger. I think a seal will come with the new exchanger but you'll probably need a new manifold seal when you reinstall.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2021 20:48 
Skipper

The heat exchanger cap is so fussy that I would recommend changing heat exchangers. I am sure you can find a new cap, but it has to be installed perfectly aligned with the groove or it is useless and your engine will over heat. This is not easy in the installation of the W50 in a Tartan 37. I have no idea what engineer thought this was a good idea. The ones with simple caps are better and more trouble free. My guess is that by the time your buy caps and have your current one cleaned you could purchase a replacement for the approximately the same price. This is why I hate marinized tractor and London cab engines. Nothing wrong with the engines, but the the "marinization" is where all the problems are with most boat diesels and these cobbled together systems are full of bad ideas. The W50 was a good engine with a pathetic cooling system. I went to Yanmar and never looked back.

Profile Email