Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Dingy Outboard Motor

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dingy Outboard Motor
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020 10:05 
Tactictian

I'm in the market for a new dingy outboard motor.
I want it to be lightweight, and most of all extremley realible.

I have narrowed down my search to the Honda 2.3 hp and the Tohatsu 3.5 hp.
They both cost about $1k.
Any comments, recomendations will be appreacited.

Thanks in advance.
Nick.
S/V Angela Mia
Lake Superior

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Dingy Outboard Motor
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020 22:31 
Skipper

Both good motors, When we cruise we take a Honda 2.0 hp and a Tohatsu 9.8 hp 2-stroke (57lbs). The Honda with it's small jets allows the carb to gag up pretty easy. I also have had two Honda 50's over the last 20 years...lets say I got pretty good at rebuilding carbs. I would go Tohatsu, they just go and go. In freshwater both will last forever, I would give a look for a used one up there. I just sold a 8hp Nissan (made by Tohatsu) that was run in saltwater for 25 years, it took its toll.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020 10:21 
Tactictian

Thanks guys for the feedback.
Good to know.
The reason I’m looking at the lightest outboards is that I recently had a bimini installed on my boat. Great bimini but it has SS tube braces that kick back to the stern rail.
My stern rail is now a bit crowded with the BBQ grill, Life sling, and motor. My motor hoist jib is now somewhat inhibited by the bimini braces.

The Honda 2.3 hp weighs only 30 pounds and the Tohatsu 3.5 appears to only weigh 41 pounds. I just use my motor to go ashore when anchored off an Apostile Island. Going forward I don't think I’ll be able to use my motor hoist jib . So a new lightweight motor may be a back saver..

Any additional comments?
Thanks.
Nick

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020 13:10 
Skipper

I like the biggest 2 stroke I can quickly load and unload and a hard bottom deflatable. 15 hp is great if its not overly heavy and will go back on the rail and vice versa without a struggle. Faster you can go, plane and get back and the more power for pushing, hauling groceries and/or people, hip towing and towing, the better. Merc 9.9 is the same as their 15 (or was several years ago). Just a matter of tuning and stickers. Its important to have the power. It's a safety thing. I have a rolled up deflatable as well and a 2.5 Merc. And a 4hp Merc. And a sponson canoe. I have too much stuff that I never use.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020 21:38 
Able Bodied Seaman

We have a 15 HP 2-stroke Nissan (made by Tohatsu). Very solid motor, runs great and plenty of power. We use this for zipping around near our slip on a hard-bottom RIB. Manually lifting the Nissan to the stern rail motor mount from the water off a dinghy seems almost unsafe due to it's weight of ~80-90 lbs and for this reason is not a realistic option for us to use while cruising. It also is almost 3X the hp max rating for Achilles inflatable we use while cruising and would likely damage or rip the transom from the rubber dinghy.

While cruising the Great Lakes, we have been using a 3 HP 2-stroke Yamaha on an older, small Achilles inflatable. I estimate the Yamaha weighs just under 40 lbs, and starts on or before 2nd pull every time. Great little motor for transporting us from anchorage or mooring to land, but not really enough power to do any type of exploring with. It will not get the Achilles up on plane. As far as lifting onto the stern rail mount, this one is very easy.

Perhaps similar to you, I am looking for something that I can use on an Achilles inflatable to get up on plane and zip around but still manually lift onto the stern rail mount. I'm also looking for an internal tank option to keep gasoline containers onboard limited to 0 or 1 depending on our trip duration.

At the end of the day, I'm seeking a 6-8 hp 2 or 4 stroke with internal gas tank... I will try to report back when purchase one. Good luck in your search.

Hull #459

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020 16:58 
Skipper

I make myself laugh. Years on the water, brand new 9.9 merc on an HBI from a friend's Post 46 stinkpot. Can't remember why, had to get the engine for some reason. Big boat and dinghy are in slip at Sapphire Marina. Undo Merc in dinghy tied to dock, pick up Merc with both hands like a serving tray, go to set it on dock at shoulder level and momentum bounces me off the dock backwards. I'm in half curl position with 60 pounds at arms length moving away from the dock unable to stabilize or get the engine down into the dinghy. Dinghy hits end of rope at an angle, over she goes in 12' of water. It's funny now, except that sick pit in my stomach.

Maybe I'd go with the little motor, opt for a 9' or better sailing dinghy.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020 16:25 
Skipper

I have some input. I think the Honda 2.3 is aircooled and they sound like a loud lawnmower if that matters to you. I have a Merc 3.5 on my Folkboat and it is very good. I do not leave gas in it and it always starts on the second pull. It is 10 years old and I recently had to put a new shift lever in it--did it myself. Simple engine. I have a 6HP Tohatsu 4S on my dinghy for my Tartan and it is too new to talk about--runs great, is reasonably quiet compared to Honda, and is almost as powerful as my old Nissan 8HP 30 years old 2Stroke which I keep around for back up. I had a 5 HP Honda 4Stroke and I really really really hated that thing. Certainly the worst outboard I have ever had. Balky to start always. After 2 seasons it developed a hole in the crankcase. I am fastidious about maintenance, but I do not flush the engine and it runs in salt--but I never have had problems with this kind of corrosion in other outboards. Looks like the folks are using scrap aluminum casting and had a large imperfection in this one from the get go--but of course it was out of warranty at that point. Glad to be rid of it. I captain a research vessel with two 90hp Hondas on it and they have their days as well---seem to have short lives. I used to think Honda was quality but I will never buy another Honda small engine again. I am not sure that Tohatsu is better over time, but I have had better luck with them.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2020 10:58 
Skipper

I have minimal requirements for dinghy outboard so I went with Lehr propane 2.4hp. Really tiny, I can carry it in one hand, run it for an hour on a 1lb propane bottle. No gas, no choke, no layup... brilliant! I get to leave it on the boat for winter and next Spring, it starts right off.

Not great for most applications requiring some power, but I'm loving it. Great for someone who rarely uses the dinghy. (Also went with PortaBote so no more chasing inflatable leaks.)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2020 10:43 
Skipper

I've had good Tohatsus and bad Tohatsus. I have no idea about them. I've got two Mercs right now, a 4 and a 2.5. The wishlist includes the largest (practical) aluminum HBI that I can comfortably get on the foredeck and lash down and likewise the largest outboard I can get on and off the rail. Carefully and safely. Might just be an 8, I don't know.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2020 11:50 
Skipper

The Nissan, small Merc and Tohatsu are the same motor. They are the best weight to power at 57lbs. I think they are very reliable and still sold down island, they been making the same motor for over 30 years. I mean if that's the motor of choice for Moorings it's a reason, cause they don't need to send a chase boat for an outboard.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email