Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Thanks to the forum members.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 03:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanks to the forum members.
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020 18:02 
Skipper

Thank you guys. The Admiral and I were motoring back to the marina and I started hearing a different noise in the engine compartment. Pulling the companionway ladder out, I spotted the dreaded wobble on the sea water pump. We made it back to the marina without incident and when I got to the pump today, I could see loose ball bearings through the belt pulley.

But because someone here knows about the sea water pump and POSTED his knowledge, I have the information necessary to rebuild the pump. I am getting my parts from Pumpvendor.com as they have the R30G-1 parts available. So can replace my major overhaul kit for less than the cost of a new pump.

Besides, as I was removing the pulley to get to the pump, the &*#&$( pulley key slipped off and went somewhere. Can't find it. I suspect it joined the woodruff key under the engine pan. AND IT'S NOT MAGNETIC! (*&(*&&^&^&^&^%@^%^&#%*!!!!!

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Thanks to the forum members.
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2020 07:31 
Skipper

I have to agree. I don't know jack about the W-50, and will be absorbing everything over the next month or two after I get the outside of the boat done. Only fuel leak, I believe, is the throttle where it goes into the injection pump? Some "o ring" leaking?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2020 14:52 
Skipper

My leaking throttle shaft did not end well. I attempted to remove the nut holding the control arm to the shaft and I snapped the end of the shaft off. Handed the nut with it's part of the shaft to the Admiral and said "There's $1000 in your hand."

Pulled the whole injection pump out and had it serviced. Yep, right at $1000 to get it back.

Per my original post, here's a photo of the raw water pump bearing once I got it out of the pump. Yep, missing a couple of ball bearings.

Attachment:
IMG_20200618_141023226.jpg

IMG_20200618_141023226.jpg [ 1.99 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2020 09:10 
Skipper

The sad truth is that when you finally have a fuel leak that is in the injection pump your DIY efforts are over. Taking it to a truck diesel machine shop is your option. I have no prove, but I think soe of the the diesel additives do the O-rings in your pump no good. In any case, they do not last forever. Seems like $1000 for a rebuild is a bit stiff, but maybe that is where it is now.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2020 20:39 
Skipper

Well, I rebuilt the pump shaft with new bearings and seals. Got it installed and it went in scary easy. So we take the boat out and lo and behold, the engine is running a bit warmer than normal.

I am going to use the vinegar solution on it before I open up the back end of the water pump. I found the vinegar solution searching here. Pump a gallon of vinegar thru the raw water pump and let it sit for 15 minutes. Pump a second gallon of vinegar thru the raw water pump and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then connect the raw water pump back onto the thru hull and run the engine for 10 minutes to clear the vinegar out.

I'll report back when I take the boat out again in about 6 weeks.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2020 08:05 
Skipper

Yes, please, do tell. I'm just finishing off the mast for re-stepping, working on the deck hardware - all off for painting, going back on mostly new. Then the overhead in the salon has to be re-installed and trimmed out. The hull is about ready to float, rebuilt speed sending unit. Still pulling all wiring in the bilge for re-organization and new bilge pumps. Rebuilt Henderson MK V and that's going back into the lazarette. Fingers crossed on instruments, but right now it's "float, float, go forward go forward." Tight hull and deck, two modes of locomotion. Sails and engine. Once I reach that, we're in and shoving down the ICW. The cetol work, interior sanding and touch-ups, etc. can be done in transit. Screw it.

Profile Email