Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Shaft coupler

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 10:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shaft coupler
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020 20:06 
Skipper

Will a Buck Algonquin 4" coupler with 3/8" holes work in this application? Do I need to track down 10mm holes? Source?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Shaft coupler
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020 09:28 
Skipper

The answer is no. EDIT: THE ANSWER IS "NO" as to tracking down the metric stuff. While the bolts are all metric on the original, the Buck Algonquin comes with U.S. bolts and fits perfectly except they are about 2mm too long. I'll get what I need at fastenal, or do some cutting. However, I've decided to replace my engine mounts. ORDERED NEW ONES FROM NIEMIEC MARINE. Got everything put back together and started checking alignment on the hard and noted the disparity in adjustment vertically in the rear mounts. They're 41 years old. And they're attachment seems to be the reason for cutless wear. The stacked washers underneath are all loose, so the vibration must be horrible. Looks like a pretty easy fix. Installed new stern gland and coupler. Martec should get the prop back to me next week.

HOWEVER, I don't know if we're going to make it into the Gulf of Maine pointed south by mid-October. I want everything to squeak. We'll see. Alternative possibilities are forming.

It's starting to look like we'll just fly down to the USVI for the month of November, probably bring the boat down starting in April-May. I like a vessel that will turn left halfway down if I want to. And I'm feeling rushed, and I don't like that.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020 18:14 
Skipper

Good thinking on all points: about the alignment and about the trip. My thought is that most folks ruin the rear seal and/or transmissions on recreational sailboats way earlier than they should because of alignment issues. As you know, it is a monstrous PIA to do it right. But one nice thing about the T37 is. that once you get it right, at least on my boat, it seems to not lose its alignment through use or storage. I have to tweak it every couple years.
Ray Durkee
T37 Velera

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020 15:32 
Skipper

New mounts showed up today, so we're going down to pull a couple things off the engine, take the coupling back apart (it's just on temporary) and see if we can get that engine up high enough to lift out. Looks like the waterlift muffler has to come out as well (easiest approach). There's cavities on both sides of the engine tub to reach back if you want, but that aft bolt port is best coming out from behind. I think what someone did was use bolts that were too long on the engine mounts (with locknuts). They weren't fully threaded (unthreaded shank below the bolt head) and to cure the problem they stacked up a half dozen washers underneath. It'll get done right once and for all.

Profile Email