Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Fuel injection pump leaking from weep hole

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel injection pump leaking from weep hole
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021 17:48 
Skipper

Does anyone have experience with diesel injection pumps. We started our w50 motor today and diesel looks like it is coming out of the weep hole at the bottom of the CAV pump.

I think this requires a rebuild of the injection pump. Any advice on how to handle this is welcome or other things to look at? I am assuming the pump has to come off. Is this something I should attempt myself? Any issues with regards to getting the timing right when reinstalling?

Here is a pic of the weep hole and a video you can see diesel flowing from the hole. The initial leak was showering diesel at first but it has slowed significantly since starting the motor a few times.

https://youtu.be/s6jhVZT5ihc

Attachments:
IMG_20210112_131208385.jpg
IMG_20210112_131208385.jpg [ 3.33 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Fuel injection pump leaking from weep hole
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021 18:21 
Tactictian

Here is a link to a U-tube video that shows an Aussie guy rebuilding the Cav rotary pump. They are quite simple and can be done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h26p78YZIr4

the westerbeke 50 is the BMC 1800 block and all parts can be got from Leyland. I think that Northwoods Tractors can get you a pump rebuild kit and might even offer a rebuilt pump that with core trade in is fairly reasonable. I have my engine out in the garage awaiting installation if you need any photos or info just give me a shout.Mark #337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021 18:31 
Tactictian

here is a link to the Leyland distributor, Northwoods tractors
https://leylandnuffieldtractorparts.com ... tions.aspx

particularly the 1800cc D and the pump rebuild kit as well as numerous other parts.They have a full inventory of all parts to conduct a rebuild of the entire engine if you ever feel inclined. Mark #337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021 19:45 
Skipper

felizcortez wrote:
Any issues with regards to getting the timing right when reinstalling?

In 2012, I scribed a mark on the fuel pump and the engine to provide an alignment for re-installing the pump. However, even though I installed the pump with the marks aligned, the engine smoked a bit. White smoke that would not go away even after the engine was warm. I finally ran across a diesel mechanic who said the pump was not timed correctly. He loosened the bolts on the pump and twisted the pump a bit then tightened the bolts again. I started the engine and reported the results. Rinse, repeat until the white smoke disappeared. Torqued the bolts and I haven't had to adjust it since then.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021 01:13 
Skipper

The info on the pump says DPA 3342 F710. I haven't been able to find much information about this model on the web. I looked at the leyland link provided and it looks like the seal kit is for a different fuel injection pump. Is this the standard pump on the W50?

What would cause the weep hole to leak diesel? Is it the front seal that goes to the crank or something else?

Profile Email