Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - in need of a westerbeke 50

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: in need of a westerbeke 50
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019 19:44 
Tactictian

i am stuck one day out of Cobbs with a major catastrophic break down of my engine. I haven't met with a mechanic yet as I got towed in at night and will be deciding about what to do. I will probably have to rebuild but not sure where. The prices for haul out and where to rebuild will be under consideration. I can't afford a new engine but would welcome buying a donor.#337 located at Chesapeake Marine under the I-64 bridge

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: in need of a westerbeke 50
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019 07:20 
Rail Meat

I didnt check today but there was one of ebay forsale last week.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019 12:05 
Tactictian

I am now on the hard stand and have abandoned my plans for the time being. Broken rod. I will get back home for the time being and start searching for a replacement or donor engine. What are some of the other engines that can be bolted in place of the Westerbeke 50? Not sure of the extent of the damage requiring further inspection to see whether the crank is screwed. Taking off for Christmas and the new year and then I will get to it.#337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019 12:49 
Tactictian

If you are looking at replacing with another engine to fit the engine bed, you may want to check out Yanmar.

I have a 1992 Yanmar 4JH2-E ( 53 Hp) that came with the boat.
Runs great!
Yet, terrible access to the impeller...

Good luck with your search.

Nick
S/V Angela Mia
Hull #336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019 09:52 
Tactictian

Thanks everyone for all your responses. Unfortunately I am unable to purchase a new engine even though I would love to go with the kubota. I am back home for Christmas and will go back to the boat in the new year to haul the engine and assess the extent of the damage. There is a guy close by who can turn the crank, sell me a crank or provide me with a partial rebuild depending on my finances. I got the boat for a good price and did not budget for such a significant repair. As they say you pays your money and you takes your chances. Whatever I decide the boat is a great boat and well worth saving and putting some money into. It's all about the timing right now.#337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019 17:29 
Tactictian

I forgot to ask about the manufacturer of Westerbeke 50's in 1981. Was it Mitsubishi, Perkins, Kubota or Universal? I am having some tell me it was a Kubota, others imply a Mitsubishi. It comes down to shopping parts outside the Westerbeke hostile price control. #337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019 19:57 
Skipper

I'm pretty sure it was a Perkins, and Westerbeke added their components. As I understand it, there are British sources for certain parts.

As an aside, just for giggles, I just got a quote, delivered to my door, for a Beta 38, including the engine mounts needed to fit the W50 footprint. I do like the idea of Kubota parts. Just under fifteen. Sigh. Do I really want to do that while looking at electronics, wind vane, refrigeration and water maker?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019 12:36 
Tactictian

Yeah Maine, you echo my sentiments. I too believe that the Perkins 4-107/108 are the core engines types. The boat is a great boat and worthy of the money spent. Like you I would like to build on other things for the comfort of the boat and try to persevere with the original engine. Part of the restoration process in my mind is to stick with the original. I am not adverse to a rebuild on my time but I only wish I wasn't held captive by outrageous storage prices and the time factor needed to get back on the water. I will bite the bullet and relax over Christmas and then in the new year hustle back and pull the engine to assess. I do have some options quite close to my breakdown area as I mentioned with availability of a crank turn or replacement so I will have too wait and see. Have a great Christmas all.#337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2019 19:51 
Skipper

Here's one on ebay that's been rebuilt with less than 120 hours on it, $6900

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Westerbeke-W50-Marine-Diesel-Engine-4-Cylinder-42-HP-w-Transmission/173868026298?hash=item287b5789ba:g:u0kAAOSwmE5cLP3i

If your boat is sound in every other aspect, the engine is a nit.... a new boat comparable to the tartan37 is going to cost you into the $100'000s... they just don't make em like that anymore....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019 13:57 
Tactictian

Thanks Mike. I had seen that listing and had taken an interest in it. I am going back to the boat in the new year to assess the damage and might try to get mine going to get down to Ft. Meyers. I would really like to rebuild mine to original because I like to do that kind of thing. Mark, #337

Profile Email