Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rocker Cover Gasket

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocker Cover Gasket
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2019 11:30 
Skipper

I believe my rocker cover gasket is leaking. A mechanic we had work on it in the US used one of those liquid gaskets instead of the cork one specified. I have a cork replacement on the boat and was thinking about swapping it out. (the leak isn't too terrible, but it's a leak none the less at the rear of the cover). I have a decent size pool of oil and have to add about half a quart every 40-50ish hours. I've heard varying opinions on how to apply the gasket. Some people say just coat it with grease, others say use something like hylomar on both sides of the gasket. I've never done this job before, so want to get some guidance.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rocker Cover Gasket
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2019 11:20 
Skipper

Make sure all the surfaces are very clean—scrape and use solvent if needed. You only need the cork. Not a bad idea to put some oil on the gasket before you clamp it down. Then do not squeeze the bejeezus out of the thing. Make it tight and run the engine a few hours and test the snugness.
The W50 is notorious for a leak at the aft seal—-are you sure this is not where your oil is coming from? Anyway, it does not sound very serious and you are doing the right thing.
Ray Durkee
Velera #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019 00:45 
Skipper

Okay. Thanks, will swap out the gasket sometime in the next week or so. Pics of the leak at the rocker cover are below.

I also appear to have leaks on my oil cooler where these brass looking 90 degree angle bends go intot he cooler. Is there some sort of thread tape I should use on here? I tried to tighten them a bit, but they were already snug and didn't move.
See below pic of oil cooler.

I'm not sure whether the rear seal is leaking or not. What is a good way to check for this? I'm assuming replacing the rear seal isn't that easy as you'd have to remove the transmission, flywheel, back part of the engine etc.

Attachments:
IMG_20191205_160715369.jpg
IMG_20191205_160715369.jpg [ 2.48 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20191205_160838338.jpg
IMG_20191205_160838338.jpg [ 3.76 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20191205_160547920.jpg
IMG_20191205_160547920.jpg [ 4.57 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2020 23:02 
Skipper

I changed out the cork gasket and I am still getting a leak at the back end of the rocker cover. I'm wondering whether the rocker cover is deformed as the bolts/nuts on top of the cover hit their stop before I felt much pressure pushing down the cover. I used Hylomar as a gasket sealant between the cork and the rocker cover. Any thoughts on what to try next?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2020 09:41 
Skipper

Bet you have a bent cover. They are pretty thin and can be over torque, check the flatness. Sealing the gasket to the covers does help, I used Form-a-gasket there. Maybe the gasket was old stock and lost some flexibility. If you got from Westerbeke, maybe try a new one. They aren't actively procuring new parts. One trick I did was skim coat the sealing surface with silicone and let it dry before reinstalling. Get a new one here. https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/ ... nes-131007

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2021 11:33 
Skipper

The lip around the rocker cover . . . it allows the gasket to sit deeper than the lip will allow it to be tightened. Years of cranking on those nuts. I just put two rocker covers side by side with gaskets (old) in them. The gaskets sit (when it's in your hand and you're looking down into it) lower than the edge of the rocker cover - rather, the cover is proud of the gasket. Careful trim with a grinder so the gasket is slightly proud of the rocker cover edge when you mount it and I think Bob'll be your uncle. Or fatten up the gasket seat from the inside. Old gaskets, years of cranking down on the mounting nuts. Before I do any trimming, I'll see if the new gasket seats right and there's no real reason to crank crazy on the bolts. If it's too close, a minor trim with a grinder on the rocker cover lip should clear up the issue, especially in the area of a leak.

Profile Email