Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W50 surging RPMs

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Mar 2024 06:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W50 surging RPMs
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 10:02 
Skipper

On a 7 hour motor sail passage, I started having regular RPM surges up from 1850 to 2000 without moving the throttle. It only would last about 2-3 seconds then back down. It was happening as often as a couple times a minute. It didn't seem to happen at all at low RPMs like 1200. I'm about 50 hours from last Racor filter change and haven't changed the on engine filter in a long time. Planning to change the filters. Am I on the right track here? I posted this question on a FB group, and in addition to changing the fuel filters, people have also mentioned an air leak could cause it. But, I don't even know where to start looking for that or how to fix. Next passage for us will be the Mona from Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico so need to make sure I have it running good. Anybody had this exact thing happen and know what it is and how to fix it? Thanks, Zach

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W50 surging RPMs
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 12:34 
Skipper

When my engine surges, it usually dies. Rant Sucks air and dirt from the bottom of the pickup tube.

If your engine isn't dying, it's a very small air leak. And it has to be between the tank and the first fuel pump. Obviously, as after that it would leak fuel. Can't help after that. Sorry.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 16:28 
Skipper

Great info. I'll tighten all my hose clamps and check the fittings between the tank and the low pressure pump.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 16:43 
Skipper

A clog in the dip tube can cause air to leak in through the Racor.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 18:23 
Skipper

Double check the Racor filter and the top seal. Break the compression fitting at the elbow on top of fuel tank, with 1/2 clear pvc hose pull a suction with your mouth. Should have very little restriction, if it does, blow into the elbow That means something is stopping flow. Pull the sending unit, get a hand pump with the clear pvc tubing, attached to a wood dowel and suck the bottom of the tank till clean.

Air leaks and HP fuel pump next to troubleshoot. The fuel pump, can act totally different after the engine has been run. The diesel fuel warms up, in the pump, the viscosity thins down and an older pump can't feed the demand.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 23:25 
Skipper

Also could be that your tank vent is clogged. If you see bubbles in your racor—it might just be that spiders have sealed off the vent. I had that happen a couple times. Another way to test is to open the cap on the tank wen it is surging—if it stops, it is the vent. Also the pick up tubes on the old Tartans have a screen that clogs. Remove it. You do not need it and it causes more problems that it is worth. Tartan eventuallly stopped putting one in their tanks.
Ray Durkee

Profile Email