Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Bleeding W50

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bleeding W50
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019 12:23 
Skipper

I want to change my fuel filters and had a few questions. I have a Racor primary filter and then the engine secondary. I have a mechanical lift pump.

If I only change the Racor do I need to bleed the system as well or just fill it to the top?

Should you change both primary and secondary filters at once?

I have read through the bleeding guide on the main page and also looked at the engine manual, but I am having trouble finding the bleed points on the high pressure fuel pump. I traced the incoming line to the pump but I don't see a bleed point or I'm missing it.

Can someone look at the attached pics and point out the specific bleed points?

Attachments:
15562128126996470946046066428209.jpg
15562128126996470946046066428209.jpg [ 3.41 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
15562125557266561444858071663905.jpg
15562125557266561444858071663905.jpg [ 4.31 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bleeding W50
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019 16:53 
Skipper

I change my Racor regularly but have not changed the secondary in over a decade. I fill the filter after putting in the new cartridge and have no need to bleed the engine.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019 22:07 
Skipper

When you fill the filter do you just dump fuel in from a cup or do you use the lift pump?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2019 06:09 
Skipper

I don’t know if you can fill the Racor with the lift pump while the top is off (the filter). I have a separate electric pump that is on the tank side of the filter that I can use to fill the filter. I can also put a 30 micron cartridge in the Racor and run that pump for a few hours to clean a dirty fuel condition. I think in your case, you can fill the Racor by pouring fuel into it. I do think you want to get the filter full enough to avoid pulling an air bubble into the system.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 06:27 
Midshipman

Changing the fuel filter on the engine can be a real pain. I use a 10 micron on the Racor and change that regularly. Easy to do. And I just fill it up by pouring fresh fuel in with the top off. I change the engine mounted one less frequently, figuring the 10 micron Racor ought to do most of the work. If you are careful you will only have to bleed the engine at the blank plug on the filter housing itself. It is the highest point and if you get the air out at that plug you should be fine. I also installed a small electric pump to make priming easier.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 10:16 
Skipper

The bleeding guide is very confusing with some info that is hard to follow. The bleed screws are the tiny little ones. I can see one in your top picture on the left in the top half of the pic. It's the little screw on top of a screw. You'll find a couple more that look just like that.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 10:43 
Skipper

If my tank is over half full, I can just open the tank shut off and will fill automatically. Usually no bleeding required. The secondary I replace about every four years, afraid to run it any longer. Thinking about the paper filter breaking down and getting in the system.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 13:26 
Tactictian

I install a squeeze fuel bulb in front of my racor and have successfully pushed fuel up to the secondary filter. This was on a ford Lehman on my last boat and I will install one on the westie.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 May 2019 18:09 
Skipper

I got around to changing both the Racor Primary filter and the Secondary filter on the engine today. The Racor wasn't so bad. After I removed the Racor filter, before I filled it with fuel, I changed the secondary filter on the engine. This one really made a mess as there was no great way to catch the fuel as it spilled out. I replaced the seals on both filters and closed everything up then opened the bleed screw on the racor and used hte little pump that is included in the Racor 220 housing. It took forever to fill as I didn't have any fuel that was outside of the tank to dump in. Once I got that to work, I went to the secondary filter and cracked the bleed point at the top of the housing. I worked on the lift pump for over 30 minutes and I couldn't tell whether fuel was coming out. I bumped the starter a few times, to make sure the lift pump wasn't at a position it couldn't pump fuel. I finally said screw it and ran the starter and fuel went pretty much everywhere from the first bleed point on the housing. I then moved on to the second bleed point (first one on the fuel injector) ran that until fuel was spraying out, then moved on to the next one and had fuel spray out of that one too. While I was cranking the engine, the engine started initially, but then quickly died as it sucked air into the fuel injector. I then went to the last bleed point on the fuel injection pump and saw spurts of fuel coming out. I closed this off and then went to the injectors. Cracked the injectors and ran the starter and nothing came out.

I went through this same process 5 or 6 more times and finally was able to get the motor to start. I think I wasn't getting all the air out at the final bleed point on the injection pump. I ran that one for a while and the engine started while I was bleeding it. While the engine was running, I cracked the injector lines one by one and then closed them up.

Only took me about 4 hours start to finish, and I probably had multiple cups of diesel fuel in the tub below the engine. Quite messy, but I got it done.

On the lift pump, I was surprised as I thought I would see strong fuel flow pumping this by hand and I would think 30 mins of continuous pumping would be enough to see something. Maybe I just didn't notice, but when I ran the starter fuel would come out of the bleed points very strongly. Any thoughts on this one? I had the lift pump replaced about 3 years ago, so it is fairly new. The mechanic said we needed a new one, because the old one wouldn't fill the fuel filter. Wondering whether I actually had a problem now or not or if I was doing something incorrectly. How much travel should there be on the lift pump - it was moving at least an inch to an inch an a half or so on each stroke.

Changing the fuel filters and bleeding the engine was something I was pretty nervous on, so I'm glad I got this under my belt. I have to say on try 4 or 5 I was starting to get worried i wasn't going to be able to get the motor to start.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 May 2019 18:14 
Skipper

This was also the best diagram I found for the bleed screws in a newer version of the technical manual.

Attachments:
Bleed Diagram.JPG
Bleed Diagram.JPG [ 37.48 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email