Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W50 Fresh water pump

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W50 Fresh water pump
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019 11:36 
Skipper

I recently noticed after running the engine for 15 hours crossing over to the Bahamas a small amount of a different fluid in the engine sump. Like half an ounce. I figured out that it is the 50/50 coolant mixture, and it seems to be misting from behind the pulley of the fresh water pump. I also found that I can jiggle the pulley around easily like the shaft is loose. I'm guessing the pump needs rebuilt or something.

Anyone dealt with this problem before and fixed it? What are my steps to take? We are currently in Spanish Wells in the Bahamas with plans to head through the Caribbean.

Also, since the leak is so small, is this something I need to deal with right away? We motored again for about 10 hours with only the same small amount. Anyone let this go for a while? How long? Any help/advice appreciated. By the way.....I'm really get tired of the amount of boat work lately.....grrrrrrrrr Smile

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W50 Fresh water pump
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019 17:34 
Skipper

Hi Zach,

Most likely your fresh water pump is starting to fail. As far as I am aware, not practical to try and rebuild. Westerbeake replacement is insane $$. Check something like JC Whitney for a 1971 MGB water pump. The price should be around $30 and I am pretty sure it is the same pump. Wait for some of the more learned folks to weigh in. You want confirmation of the model year but the engine block is the same. Good luck with it. You should move on it before the trickle becomes a real leak.

Chip

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019 19:18 
Skipper

I always cruised with a back up freshwater pump and a back up raw water pump. Had to replace both in out of the way places and was glad I had them handy. I once had to replace the freshwater pump when threading some reefs in Panama—but that is another story—I was glad I had a replacement and was familiar with the process. I paid the $$ for both from the local Westerbeke supplier, but there are folks on this list who may have one somewhere. But you CAN have the bearing pushed out and replaced in both pumps (and it should save you money) and fix your worn out one and use it for a spare. This would require finding an old fashioned machinist who would be willing to do it. If you take care of these pumps, keep your heat exchangers in zincs and clean, change the oil regularly, the W50 should be good for a long time. The blocks on these small diesels rarely are the problem—the marinization and coolant systems are most often the problem sources.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019 19:30 
Skipper

You might want to try Calcutt boats. The W50 is based off the BMC 1.8L and they had a timing cover when no one else did. They have a variety of pumps available and they helped me out via email and phone exchanging pictures.

http://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6 ... ID=1643874

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019 20:06 
Skipper

Thanks for the info all. I tightened a few of the bolts that hold the pump on and the ones on the pulley. The small leak seems to be stopped at the moment. But, I still have the concerning play in the pump pulley. I'll definitely start sourcing a new pump. Is that change out simple? What's the process? Nothing much in the manual about it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019 07:03 
Skipper

The change out is relatively simple. However once the new pump is in place, you will have to “push” the air bubble through the water heater which is lower than the engine. I did it by running the engine at really high speed for a bit. If there is a bubble, coolant won’t flow and the engine will over heat. Once the bubble moves through, the temp drops right back down to 180.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019 11:21 
Skipper

Very simple to change out. As I mentioned, I had to do it once in 10 minutes once. It is good practice. Just take off the bolts, put on the new gasket (make sure you have one, you can make one if it is not available, but have one with your spare) and put it back together. Biggest issue was getting the belt at the proper tension after replacement. About 1/2” to 3/4” deflection. I think running big alternators is not good for either of the pump bearings. I never did it, but running a separate belt off the crank for a big alternator might save your pump bearings. These bearings are a weakness of this engine set up. Along with the cooling systems.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019 11:46 
Skipper

Does anyone have a source for the hose that comes out of the water pump as well? I'm trying to figure out whether that is a custom part or just generic radiator hose.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019 18:41 
Skipper

For that piece of hose, I took the old one to an autoparts store. They went in the back room and came out with something that mostly fit. Not even sure you could get one of the originals anymore.

Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019 08:11 
Skipper

I did the same thing Ray did. I think I found a bigger piece that had the bend I needed and I cut that portion out of the hose.

Profile Email