Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W40 fuel injector pump

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W40 fuel injector pump
PostPosted: 11 May 2007 15:28 
Able Bodied Seaman

I just finished rebuilding my 4.108 and got it back in the boat and now the mechanical DPA fuel injector pump is leaking around the throttle shaft where it goes into the top of the pump. The mechanic took the top off another pump I had and all it needs is new o rings of the correct size and an new seal for the upper plate. Hate to have to spend $625.00 for a reconditioned pump for just a leaky o ring but the shop hasn't been able to find any drawings that would indicate the size of the o rings or a source for getting these o rings and the seal gasket.
Frustrating Any one out there that may have gone through this situation?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W40 fuel injector pump
PostPosted: 11 May 2007 21:00 
Able Bodied Seaman

http://www.bostonfuelinjection.com/index.htm

I had a small drip, about 1 qt every 70 hours. I looked for years to find it after my trip down and back on the intercoastal I had enough and removed the pump and took it to the New HAmpshire location. Two days later the called to pick it up, I was very satisfied with them and I do not think they charged me like I expected other shop would. I would call them they had parts for my pump on hand.

Sam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014 11:06 
Rail Meat

Know this is an old post, however, I think I have a leak in the same location. Wondering how you ended up resolving the issue? Were you able to find drawings and o-ring specs?

Also, any observations on urgency to address this leak? Likely to slowly change (time to research) or subject to sudden failure (fix now)?

Eric

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014 13:17 
Skipper

I have replaced a couple injector pumps and had this conversation with other mechanics. I think you will find that most diesel mechanics do not touch the innards of injection pumps--they take them in for rebuild. The O rings in these pumps are not the ones you buy in the hardware store and the tolerances are so small and the pressures so great (in order for the pump to work properly) that whenever it comes to a leaky injector pump, it is--in my book--time to bite the bullet and replace it. It should not be a regular issue. I replaced one on my W50 that had 4000 hours and about 20 years on it. A completely unproven suspicion is that pour excessive amounts of diesel additives leads to failure.

FWIW

Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014 20:02 
Skipper

We got a leak on the W50 after 30 years and probably under 500 hours, which sort of supports the fuel additive theory. Regardless, rebuild wasn't that pricey at the diesel shop. Might be downright cheap if there's an option to fore go the complete rebuild (but while you have it out... why not go for broke... literally). I gave them the pump and 4 injectors for rebuild and no sticker shock. I forget the price but remember being surprised it was so cheap. Look for a shop in your area that works trucks and see if they can do your W40 pump.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017 07:57 
Midshipman

Our W-40 injector pump is leaking. Just a medium-slow drip. Not sure if it just started or we hadn't noticed it yet. It appears to be coming from the area of one of the injector feed fittings or the fitting that the pressure switch attaches to. All difficult to look at or access without taking off the exhaust manifold. I did try tightening the compression fittings, but no difference. If nobody has any suggestions, I think we will monitor the issue and nurse it along for this season.
Remove the pump after winterization and see if we can fix or send it somewhere.
It sure is helping keep the engine pan clean. Rolling Eyes

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017 17:19 
Skipper

I purchased a rebuilt pump.... but.... I had checked several diesel shops that specialize in rebuilding pumps and I could have got it done much less than what you were quoted. Somewhere on this forum I detailed changing the pump out... very important to scar/mark where the pump sits before you remove it... try a search on the forum. Unfortunately the leak will just get worse. Mine started out leaking a little and within months, was almost pouring before I changed it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017 19:26 
Skipper

Before you go to any major expense, make sure it is not the pressure switch that is leaking. When they fail, they leak diesel fuel.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017 08:59 
Midshipman

Doesn't appear to be the switch, possibly a seal or o-ring on the body of the pump. Very hard to see much, but this is Going to limit our cruising range this season...
Probably pull the pump after its winterized and get a better look. May need to send it in to a pro. Anybody have any suggestions?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017 19:11 
Skipper

I did the replacement myself with the help of someone to hold the pump while mounting it. So,,,,, it really is a two man job. Be sure you follow the advice on one of the posts on the forum. You can hire it done I guess but I would assume the labor would be costly,,,good luck

Profile Email