Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W40 fuel injector pump

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: W40 fuel injector pump
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017 08:47 
Midshipman

I plan on doing the pump removal and replacent myself. If the seal can be replaced without major disassembly or disturbing the high-precision parts then we may go for it. Having the unit professionally rebuilt sounds like a sound investment in an engine that could last a long time. The cost of having a HP pump fail is not just measured in money, but In time if it occurs during a vacation. Will advise what we find as we go...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017 15:37 
Skipper

Injector pumps are more or less standard and many truck diesel engine machine shops can do the overhaul on any injector pump. They have the tools the special O rings and expertise. It is not a cheap effort, but you should not have to do it often either. I strongly suspect that over dosing the fuel tank with additives was the demise of one of my injector pumps. They last a long time, but when they fail, you are going to the shop.

Ray Durkee
Velera
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017 09:25 
Midshipman

Got it out yesterday. (W-40 C.A.V. injector pump)
Parts removed: exhaust manifold, oil filter, 6 fuel lines, 2 or 3 water or coolant lines, pressure switch wires, and still a maze of cap to negotiate. Need a swivel socket adapter, multiple socket extensions and a 7/32 Allen key socket for the job.
The coupling shaft came out with the pump though it is quite possible that it could stay in the engine side. It is important to study it, as it only can be put on one way, making screwing up the timing impossible. But it would also be a bear to install as it won't go together one-tooth off. The washers for the 3 mounting bolts left indentations in the pump that will make it tough rotate the pump out of its original timing configuration.
Found two local companies that can service it. Unfortunately it really just needs a seal, but since I couldn't find it, it will either have to be rebuilt, completely resealed, or maybe a bench test would find the leak (probably not cheap).
Willing to drive to Cleveland, Columbus, or Detroit to find a good reliable shop to do the work, or consider shipping ig anyone has any recent good experiences elsewhere.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017 23:18 
Midshipman

Found a place that rebuilds injector pumps on site. Estimate was less than the earlier one from the closer business.
The gentleman at the shop said that low-sulphur fuels are usually to blame for old diesel engine injector pumps springing leaks. New seal kits use Viton rubber which are resistant to new fuels or additives.
Sounds familiar? Yep just like gasoline engines with the ethanol.. Rant

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2017 20:08 
Skipper

Had mine done two years ago. cost only a couple of hundred (Canadian) dollars. It was done by an old fashioned farm equipment repair shop. They took it out and installed it back in for me included in the price.

Profile Email