Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Images of W50 being pulled out from under cockpit

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 05:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Images of W50 being pulled out from under cockpit
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2018 04:48 
Skipper

Lookin' good, when do you set the new engine in ?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2018 13:20 
Skipper

Built a skid similar to yours on two occasions, once to rebuild about 17 years ago and last fall for the new Beta 35. On the replacement, we lift the old out and unhooked the hoist, hooked to the new with custom mounts and went right in. Crane time less than an hour and used same skid to slide it back in. Very controlled, we used a 2x4 to raise it up to get the oil pan over the sump. Good luck with the install.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018 22:36 
Skipper

I'm guessing that you got the deep sump, which is std. It's better, holds more oil and helps maintain oil pressure when motorsailing with the boat healing.

Ours the skid was level and in-line to the engine stringers, but we added two 2x4s on each side to help slide back. Then they were pulled out after the engine was slide back and sitting over the stringers. I remember using a bunch of 2x4s and blocks of wood as leverage to get the pan over and the sliding 2x4s out.

Used a 4:1 boom preventer to the mast to control and help ease the engine back. It can take off in a second. Also helps hold it while you verify alignment. I move the the motor forward half inch. The reason was, that gives me the clearance needed to pull the tranny without moving the motor forward.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018 18:33 
Skipper

Your pictures are largely the same as I posted on the technical part of this T37 website when I replaced my Westerbeke 10 years ago. The reconfiguration of the mounts was the technically complex part--I had to cut down the box and have some metal work done to fit my Yanmar in---I am told Beta says that they can do it all without cutting---not sure how they pull that off as the Westerbeke and Hurth transmission had an odd exit about 1.5" below the plane of the motor mounts. But others on this list have put Betas in. Not sure what support Beta provides for getting all the angles right but remember to cut things down a bit lower, because you can always shim up, but you will have to take the engine out if you have to cut it down more. Yanmar produces an installation manual that is really generic to just about any engine. Getting the geometry so that the perfectly aligned shaft plane goes right down through the down tube and exact center of the cutless bearing is key (traditional way is to use a string to find the center of your engine output shaft and put it to the center of your cutless bearing--that will give you the exact angle. This is critical to aligning the engine. You want the engine mounts to be as near the center of their adjustment range when you put it in for obvious reasons.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019 20:31 
Skipper

Oh. God. I really hope my W50 has the 1200 hrs. claimed by the previous owner. I don't mind doing a repower, but I spent the last 2 hours on my back under the centerboard because the yard blocked it 1.25" too close together.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019 07:13 
Skipper

I would not worry much about the number of hours on the W50. My view is that #of hours is not very representative of the health of the engine block. In fact, I think there can be an opposite effect. If someone just used the engine to back out of a slip for 35 years and did not aggressively maintain the thing at least annually, I would prefer to have a block with 4500 hours of passage use and some solid preventive maintenance. The blocks of most of these diesels are not the major problem makers if they have clean oil and fuel. It is the cooling systems and particularly the heat exchangers (especially the cobbled ones that Westerbeke often used) if they have not been maintained regularly. I would have no problem putting any block of an engine that runs without excessive smoke and oil consumption in a boat—but I would make sure I had carefully gone through a close examination of the the cooling system innards (total disassembly and cleaning of the exchangers) of and the exhaust elbow. These parts and cold operation seem to be he ultimate cause of the demise of most diesels, not being “worn out” by thoughtful use. I have seen small diesels of world cruisers with 14000 hours that were still going strong.
FWIW

Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019 07:56 
Skipper

The heat exchanger both water and the oil are the problem. I know of two W50 that were killed with the oil exchanger failing, including mine. Been told by a few in the know they are not required. After rebuilding I ran my W50 for 15 years without one. I also replaced the SW to FW exchanger for one from Mr Cool. Much better built for 1/5 the cost. The W50 will leak oil, they all do after a while.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019 15:22 
Skipper

puffcard wrote:
The heat exchanger both water and the oil are the problem. I know of two W50 that were killed with the oil exchanger failing, including mine. Been told by a few in the know they are not required. After rebuilding I ran my W50 for 15 years without one. I also replaced the SW to FW exchanger for one from Mr Cool. Much better built for 1/5 the cost. The W50 will leak oil, they all do after a while.

I really think what you did is exactly the right thing: the saltwater oil heat exchanger was another preposterously dumb idea in the original W50 and your rerigging that was smart by whoever thought of it. I am not sure I would feel comfortable running the engine constantly for days without an oil cooler, but there is nothing special (except that it is way too small and runs on salt water) about the original oil cooler on the W50. If you replace it, it seems smart to at least put a generic one that is much larger. Better yet, cool it on the freshwater side of the system as you have done.
Ray Durkee
Velera #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019 17:20 
Skipper

Marcus at TransAtlantic Diesel, who is a very good dealer for Westerbeke and Perkins. He was the one to put me on removing the oil cooler. Never looked back. He won't even sell you one.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2019 04:01 
Rail Meat

Dave- I'm about to "yank" my 5432. I think it may be a tad larger than your Westerbeke, but how did you manage to secure the prop shaft before disconnecting the transmission? Can you just remove the 4 bolts and let it hang?

Ray
T37 Javelina #482

Profile Email