Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hurth Gearbox Failure

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hurth Gearbox Failure
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018 14:30 
Skipper

Motoring up the Multnomah Channel (off the Columbia River near St. Helens, OR) last month when my crew muttered the words you never want to hear: "What's that noise?" It didn't take long to figure it out, as Betty Lou gradually lost way even though the Westebeke was purring along at 2000 rpm. After 39 years of service, the Hurth HBW 10-2 R had given up. After talking to the local ZF shop, I was advised that they don't recommend rebuilding that gearbox, as they have seen failures after just a few hundred hours of service after a rebuild. So I bought a new ZF12M, which is the drop-in replacement for the HBW10-2 R. This new gearbox should last at least as long as the old Hurth, since it is rated for a lot more HP than the Hurth (53 HP max input for continuous usage @ 5000 rpm).

Luckily, I was scheduled to go into the yard for bottom paint a week later, so except for the $1900.00 towing bill, it all worked out. First time in 12 years that I've had to use my towing insurance! I also replaced my shaft, DSS, cutlass bearing and zincs.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hurth Gearbox Failure
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018 20:49 
Skipper

We had a Hurth HBW 10-2R rebuilt two years ago, think original. After the rebuild only lasted 70 hours, had to get a new ZF12M shipped into the Bahamas. I'm using it now on a new Beta 35. Wise move, buying new gear.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hurth Gearbox Failure
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018 15:49 
Skipper

Yes did the same thing, replacing with a ZF12M

Richard

Profile Email