Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Diesel leak

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Diesel leak
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018 18:09 
Skipper

Finding diesel leaks is really difficult because the stuff can thin down to a micron or two and migrate really far from where the leak is. There are copper washers on some of the fittings to the pump that could be replaced that might help seal things up. If, in the end, you have leaks coming out of the injector pump itself, I strongly recommend you just get it rebuilt. This can be done by most diesel shops as the pumps are more or less generic. If you are going cruising and your injector pump is more than 600 hours, I would think a rebuild would be a good pre emptive maintenance item.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018 18:13 
Skipper

All of those fuel lines are steel and they have to be really tight. I have a 6 point box wrench with a slot cut out of the end that fits the injector nuts. I think stripping the nut is the biggest potential problem (more likely with a regular open end wrench). If you feel like something is ready to break, you might want to pay someone who has the “feel” for it. All of those fittings have to be tight. I went through what you are doing around 15 or so years ago and since I finally got them all tight, they haven’t leaked since. Good luck with it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 May 2018 19:24 
Midshipman

Launched the boat today and found a pretty steady diesel leak coming, I believe, from the fuel sender switch. I know that a number of folks have decided to change that system, rewiring the electrical connections either to a toggle switch or to a regular key ignition system. I am thinking of doing the same. For those of you who have done it, a question about how to plug the hole. I am guessing maybe a brass plug? And did you have to use an O-ring or (crush) washer to get the seal tight?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 May 2018 20:58 
Skipper

I have done it after replacing the pressure switch twice. I believe it is a fine pipe thread but I can’t remember for sure. If you take the switch out you should be able to match the thread at a plumbing supply store. You want brass. Maybe Teflon tape but nothing else. Never a problem since.

Chip
#324 Esprit

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 May 2018 21:00 
Skipper

Don’t put teflon tape on any fitting on a diesel line. Diesel dissolves the stuff and it could get into your engine’s innards if you are not careful. There is special yellow diesel tape or a special goo for diesel connections but most of the mechanics I know just tighten the heck out of them bare. The lines coming out of the injector pump are under incredible amounts of pressure so, as others have noted, you gotta get em reely tight. Don’t break the lines. I do not think that they are selling the post pump to injector lines anymore for the W-50 and they are very precisely made. I think you could get a machinist to make some for you, but they have to be exactly the same length and dimensions.

Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 May 2018 05:10 
Skipper

If I recall correctly, the fuel pressure switch is threaded into a steel block. That block is attached to the fuel injection pump with a bolt (A banjo bolt I think). There are 2 o rings that are compressed at this attachment. I replaced those o rings. There is a bleeder connection on the block. Leave that. I simply installed a pipe plug in the block's hole for the pressure switch.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 May 2018 17:08 
Midshipman

Thanks for the advice on the fuel pressure switch. Did that job today and all is well. Also, I believe Ray is correct about no longer being able to get the high pressure fuel feed lines to the injectors. I tried with no luck a couple of years ago and ended up having one fabricated.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 May 2018 12:19 
Skipper

After waiting for the mechanic at Brunswick Landings for about a week to get around to us, I finally decided to go at it one more time. For the first time, I used the access from under the sink. It's definitely the way to go for getting to the # 1 injector line connection to the pump as it's right in your face, and you are no longer wrenching on it blind. At any rate, I fixed it. I turned all three connection points, the main connection, the adapter/extension connection, and the bolt that seems to hold the extension to the pump body. That final bolt seemed to be the loosest, and I think was the problem. Hard to tell as it is the highest point and diesel would be dripping down onto the other connections too. Very satisfying to get this project licked.

Attachments:
IMG_20180509_105605787.jpg
IMG_20180509_105605787.jpg [ 3.61 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
injector pump.jpg
injector pump.jpg [ 1.75 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 May 2018 19:28 
Skipper

If you ever do that again, throw a pillow in there first. That will help with the door jamb cutting into your side.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email