Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Air Cleaner/Filter

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Air Cleaner/Filter
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018 08:50 
Midshipman

I have a Universal Model 5432 (Kubota V1501) Engine and it has never had a filter element other than a coarse screen on the end of the intake bell. I am having a heck of a time finding a cleaner or air filter for this online. The service manual shows a complicated 10 part air cleaner assembly.

Does anyone have a factory installed air cleaner on there M40 or 5432

Has anyone ordered a new cleaner assembly or found a simple K&N that can just clamp on.

Input/suggestions welcome.

Kind Regards
John

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Air Cleaner/Filter
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018 09:29 
Midshipman

Update - I found a string on this called "noise" started by Tortuga's Lie in 19 Dec. 2006. Yikes on the cost. If there is any new information to add from members please share. I'm going to call Foley's Monday and inquire.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018 17:48 
Able Bodied Seaman

Folks-

I have not installed mine yet but this winter I did purchase a K&N universal air filter off Amazon:

Amazon Description: (in case the link below does not work)
K&N RA-0470 Universal Clamp-On Air Filter: Round Straight; 2.063 in (52 mm) Flange ID; 4 in (102 mm) Height; 5.875 in (149 mm) Base; 5.875 in (149 mm) Top

Amazon Link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006 ... UTF8&psc=1

Why I bought this:
This past summer was our initial season with our T37 powered by the Universal 5432. We had a unusual amount of diesel/engine fumes in the cabin during and after operation... Upon further inspection, the engine crankcase vent had come unattached and was simply spewing fumes into the engine compartment. Not sure if this is my root cause for the diesel/engine fumes and smell, but I'm starting with attaching the vent line directly to this K&N air filter in attempt to eliminate the fumes. It has an optional inlet on the back for a vacuum line (shown in the 4th picture from the top on Amazon) and I intend to connect the vent line directly to this vacuum line on the filter.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or a solution?

Hope to provide an update in the next 60-90 days once the boat has been in the water for a month or so with some hours on the experimental solution.

Hull #459

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018 11:56 
Skipper

If your crankcase ventilater hose came off, that is very likely the cause of fumes inside your boat. The crankcase ventilator goes into the intake to burn the blow by (there is always a little even in a well running engine) taking some air out of the crankcase and sucking it into the intake. My guess is you fixed it. If you still have a lot of smell, you could have some issues with ban rings, but I doubt it.

BTW, folks. Do not EVER put your hand over the intake of a running diesel engine. You have no idea what power they can have to suck an extremity in if you happened to get a good seal.

Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018 19:05 
Midshipman

I'm gonna try the k&N too...thank you

Profile Email