Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Oil Stop Leak Additive for W50 Leak Issues

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Stop Leak Additive for W50 Leak Issues
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017 16:16 
Skipper

As all who own a W50 know, the engine can have numerous, nagging oil leaks. There was recently a thread discussing potential leaks from the oil pan seal. I had a minor leak at the aft end of the engine, which I traced to the valve cover gasket, which I replaced last month.

Anyway, a thought came to mind about using a "stop leak" oil additive. I've always been suspect of these magic cures, but I had great success with Lucas Power Steering stop leak on 2 vehicles and the hydraulic ram on my autopilot. In all three cases, the leaks completely stopped. Lucas also has a oil stop leak additive, which has great reviews. Other companies also sell similar products.

Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these additives on their W50 or similar engine.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Oil Stop Leak Additive for W50 Leak Issues
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017 18:43 
Skipper

I read all about stop leak stuff a couple of years ago..... the cons are too great. I went to a heavier grade oil.... it decreased my oil leaks a lot. My engine hardly leaked while the motor was running,, but when you turn the motor off,,, then it leaked... the heavier weight oil seems to have really worked.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017 19:30 
Skipper

When I had a W50 I used a stop leak additive after consulting with a diesel mechanic friend. He said it might or might not help because it depends on the compostion of the seals and what is causing the leaks. It helped a bit. Did not stop the leaks, but cut down amount of leak. I would not go to a heavier weight oil. You want lubrication effectiveness, even if there is a bit of leak.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017 07:46 
Skipper

Heavier weight oil should not be a problem unless you are using it in a cold climate; that's where the wear and tear take place,, at startups. I live in a warm climate.

Profile Email