Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Oil Pan gasket or Rear engine gasket

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Pan gasket or Rear engine gasket
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017 11:14 
Skipper

I've lived with my Wester"leak" leaking oil for years... yeah just keep it checked and add oil when it needs it. Yesterday I was doing some other maintenance and I had my camera with me; took a few pictures under the oil pan. My leak seems to drip down past where the rear engine connects.

I actually think I have no rear engine seal leak ,, I think the oil pan leaks at the back low point of the oil pan.... it runs down the lower side and then down bottom of the rear engine ... then drips. Think I have the pics to prove it... see attached... by the way... it leaks when the engine is turned off; don't see it drip when it's running. For those of you that know about the rear engine seal.... is this where I should see it ? AND Are your symptoms the same as mine as far as leaking after engine off?

Has anyone ever changed an oil pan gasket without jacking up the engine or taking the engine out ? if so, please share !! thanks in advance. An oil pan gasket would be simple repair if not for the cramped space.

Attachments:
P1040681.JPG
P1040681.JPG [ 5.55 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
P1040671.JPG
P1040671.JPG [ 5.49 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
P1040667.JPG
P1040667.JPG [ 5.46 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Last edited by Mike on 09 Aug 2017 20:15, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Oil Pan gasket or Rear engine gasket
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017 17:19 
Skipper

This inspires me to actually get in there and dig around to find where my leaks are too. Will be interested in other's input here. Seems like mine may be the same thing.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017 18:40 
Skipper

Would like to get feedback from someone that actually knows about the rear engine seal leak by experience.... it could be the same place as I am seeing.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017 19:09 
Skipper

Great topic. I have had some minor oil leakage from my engine. It was masked by some fuel system leakage. After I solved the fuel leakage issue (leaky fuel pressure switch) , it was easy to see the oil leakage sources. One was from the front stbd part of the engine looking like it might be coming from the oil pan gasket. At that location I could easily check the tightness of the oil pan bolts. They were kinda loose so I tightened them. I'll be using the boat tomorrow and am hoping the leak in that area has stopped. Going to see if I can tighten the rest. I did notice the aft bolts may be real hard to access. Hoping to get some good feedback from others who are successful.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2017 20:48 
Skipper

Tightening the oil pan bolts on the forward stbd side eliminated the oil leak in that area. Was able to tighten the bolts up to about 1/2 way aft. Tightening the bolts farther aft will require some ingenuity. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has figured it out.

Odyssey #191

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017 09:01 
Skipper

What engine are you guys talking about, there is the W40 (perkins 4-107 block) and the W50 which is maybe based on the BMC block, and the W33, three different beasts,

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017 11:57 
Skipper

W50.

Odyssey #191

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017 19:31 
Skipper

Ok, my W40 leaks too...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017 01:30 
Skipper

I'm not sure it's possible to tighten those rear oil pan bolts. The only way I can see that it could be done with the W50 engine in the boat is to disconnect the motor mounts, disconnect the shaft at the transmission and jack the motor up so someone could get a socket wrench under and up to do it.

I've thought about cutting a bigger hole in front of the engine bilge platform to allow my arms to go in under the engine straight instead of now.... going in at an angle but I'm not sure that would do it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017 01:53 
Able Bodied Seaman

How would one 'jack up' the engine in place? I read somewhere that an owner used a basketball to raise his engine enough to clear the mounts for removal, insert deflated ball under engine and re-inflate. Any idea how much a W-40 and W-50 weighs?
Timoko
Tartan 37 Hull #135
San Francisco

San Francisco Bay

Profile Email