Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Westerbeke 50 Oil Dipstick

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westerbeke 50 Oil Dipstick
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017 16:28 
Rail Meat

This may seem like a silly question, but does anyone know what the length of the Westerbeke 50 oil dipstick is? First oil change on our 37 and I have added about 6 quarts of oil and it has not shown on the stick yet. All I see are small droplets on the stick. Not sure what the droplets are but they don't look like water or oil. Is there somewhere to buy a new stick if I have the wrong one? Thanks for any suggestions!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Westerbeke 50 Oil Dipstick
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017 17:28 
Skipper

NO NO ,,, You should only add 4 quarts with a filter change and then check the oil..... after adding the oil, start the engine,,,, shut the engine off,,, wait a few minutes then check again.. If you added 6 quarts you will have some problems. I know it will be a waste but I would drain that oil and start again with just 3 quarts if you keep the filter,,,, 4 quarts with a new filter.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017 11:39 
Rail Meat

Thanks, that is what I was thinking also. Why am I not reading anything on the dipstick? That's where I'm puzzled.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017 07:13 
Skipper

This happens often with many small diesels. When you fill the diesel it can maintain an air column in the dipstick tube that prevents oil from coming up it. This sometimes occurs also when you first come to the engine before it is run---there is an air pocket trapped in the dipstick tube. Do not overfill the crankcase. Generally, if you insert the dipstick a couple times, break the air column and surface tension, and give the oil a chance to rise up the dipstick tube you will get an accurate reading.'

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017 16:42 
Rail Meat

Thank you all very much. I drained the oil on Labor Day and replaced the filter and added 4 quarts of oil. I can now see it on the dipstick. Thank you for measuring the stick. I'll take a look next time I'm at the boat.

Profile Email