Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Diesel fluid leaking from somewhere? Any ideas?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel fluid leaking from somewhere? Any ideas?
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017 12:09 
Able Bodied Seaman

Good Day All,

I have a 1983 Tartan 37 with a Westerbeke 33 engine. Yesterday, after a good amount of engine repair over that past few weeks, and a few short outings where I've run the engine with no issues, I went out for an evening beer can. Surprisingly the engine took a while to turnover but ran well for the 45 or so minutes before the race. When I went down below for, naturally, a beer, I smelled "something" and saw a dark fluid in the bilge.

At the time I wasn't sure if it was oil or diesel but it appears to be diesel. I have since checked and my oil level is still good but I was unable to locate the source of the diesel. I have since shut the fuel valve and am waiting for my mechanic to help me tomorrow. Any ideas from my fellow Tartan owners is much appreciated. Has this happened to any of you? Thanks.

Jesse

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Diesel fluid leaking from somewhere? Any ideas?
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017 18:18 
Skipper

Not trying to scare you......It very well may be linked to your engine repairs BUT if you put diapers down around the engine compartment with the engine running and see no leaks... it may be your fuel tank and not linked to the engine repairs at all.... in this case check under the nav desk seat compartment for any sign of a leak.or under left side bottom of the nav desk.. the tanks are a triangle design which means the water lays at the the bottom corner over time and will corrode that portion of the tank. That is the first place I would check for a tank leak (based on experience). I wouldn't think oil is going to find it's way the bilge. Hopefully it's just a loose connection around the fuel hose and your tank. If you've filled up your tank recently and over filled.. it could be leaking from your vent hose if it has a break.

By the way what ever you do,, insure that you are not pumping diesel out our bilge. You'll have to answer to the USCG and subject to fines.

If it turns out to be a tank leak... you'll need to cut the aft bunk floor with a saw to get at the tank. It's fiberglassed tabbed on the port side and screwed on the inner side. You'll need to drain the tank first... use the fuel sensor hole to access the diesel to drain. To get the tank out it's a bit of coordinated geometry. I did it by myself by connecting to the tank with ropes and lifting it out with the ropes connected to the hand rail above. Once lifted you can ease it up and out above the nav desk...then out the companion way.

Instead of buying a new tank my local welding shop took a look in my tank and determined that they could cut the corner out for $90.. a new tank was going to cost $1000.

Good Luck.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017 18:18 
Skipper

If it is diesel, it should be red and smell like diesel. The age of your motor would be about right for a fuel pressure switch (if you have one) to fail. That can lead to a diesel fuel leak. The engine fuel filter can also be a source. Just look around at the engine while it's running.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017 14:47 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thank you all for the (scary) options to be on the lookout for. Very helpful for the future. It turns out the "collar" on the secondary fuel filter was loose and would not tighten so I had it replaced and all is well, for now. Very Happy

Jesse

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017 19:23 
Skipper

Had a.minor fuel leak I couldn't locate. Last weekend that mystery was solved. My fuel pressure switch failed and I dumped about 12 gallons of diesel fuel into the bilge before I realized it. That same switch failed about 12 years ago. I've had it with the design. I removed the switch and replaced it with a plug. I've also placed a manual switch near the engine control panel which now allows me to replace the function of the switch: provide power to the engine gauges and high temp and low lube oil pressure alsrms.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017 21:49 
Skipper

Also check all the bleed fittings.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email