Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W55d re-power

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W55d re-power
PostPosted: 22 May 2017 21:27 
Rail Meat

Does anyone have experience with a Westerbeke 55d re-power?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W55d re-power
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017 06:58 
Skipper

I looked at that engine when I was repowering. Seemed big. I do not think you need that much power in a T37. And---as you know-the W50 used all the space so it is going to be tight fit. The old 42 hp was a bit overpowered IMHO. My prejudice in engines is that the marinization components of diesel engines built for other purposes is the weak point of boat diesels. The engine blocks and fuel systems (providing you keep it clean) rarely cause issues in my 20 year experience. The added on pumps and heat exchangers are the things that break down, clog, leak etc. It is hard to tell looking at a nice shiny new engine at the boat show where the problems will be, but---in retrospect--I am glad I spent a bit more for Yanmar. I just inspected the exhaust elbow after 1000 hours and it is whistle clean. I think some of this has to do with the design and materials used in the salt water side of the system. But a lot of folks swear by the Beta option.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017 09:11 
Skipper

I just ordered a Beta 35, should be here in a month with special feet. While I have pretty good fiberglass skills, I wasn't looking forward to modifying the engine bedplate. Think the 35hp will be more than adequate power for the T37. I have a great running W50 takeout for sale soon. It needs a couple of leaks tighten up, easy to do while engine is out. As Capt Ron says "A diesel loves it's oil, like a sailor loves his rum."

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017 21:07 
Rail Meat

Thank you for your insight, I guess the Beta is a popular choice for many T37 owners. However, I discovered that the W55D is actually smaller than the W50, weight is approximately 170 lbs less and of course it has 10 more HP. I have found that to make 6.0 knots under power is usually achieved(depending on prop variations and sea state)only at the very upper end of the torque band of the W50, which according the manufacturer, is not good for the engine. The W55D has 18.5" mounting centers so that is compatible. Of course you do have to modify the engine bed because the engine mounts are lower relative to the shaft coupling. I have done this and it is not for the faint of heart.

I looked at the Beta and was initially interested but the six week delivery is not favorable for me. Pricing with the fabricated engine mounts was roughly the same as the W55D. Yes, the Beta is a marinized version the Kubota tractor engine and this is why the parts are so easy to find.

I think the marinization of diesels for marine applications has improved quite a bit in the last 20 years largely due to choice of materials as you have said.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017 06:07 
Skipper

I must have been looking at a different engine with the larger Westerbeke option. Is the one you are looking at a Turbo? I do not remember the overall size being smaller or lighter in the larger Westerbeke I looked at. Eric Friedman put a larger Westerbeke in and had to do some major revamping of the engine compartment if I recall correctly.
I did not find the revamping of the engine bed so very bad a job once the engine was out. A short work with a Sawzall and some straightforward glasswork did the trick. My experience is documented with pictures in the technical section of T37 site. The W50 is odd in that the shaft exits the transmission about 1.5" lower than the engine mounts, unlike most other marine engine/transmission options. So either you get some interesting metal work for new mounting options (possible with only some engines like the Beta). You are right to be looking at torque and that your prop has everything to do with delivering power to the vessel. The torque curve of the Yanmar and careful adjusting of my Autostream feathering prop makes it easy to drive my boat at full hull speed at 100% of throttle or cruising at about 6.2 knots at 75% power. IMHO, torque delivered is more important than raw horsepower. If I was doing it all over again, I would opt for the serpentine belt option. This is a development that saves replacing water pumps and alternators from wear and premature failure.

Profile Email