Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W-50 water heater hookup

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W-50 water heater hookup
PostPosted: 21 May 2017 18:25 
Skipper

Does anyone have information on regulating the volume of antifreeze that runs through the water heater circuit? The engine temperature runs at 180 and I would like to try and keep the water heater at a lower temperature.

Thanks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W-50 water heater hookup
PostPosted: 21 May 2017 20:26 
Skipper

The best fix is adding a tempmostatic mixing valve at the output of the heater. The hot water at the end of a long day can be 170-185F in the heater. The temperature best suited to shower is 100-110f. Watts is one company that sells them, they go for just over a $100. I have a Honeywell, this one. Saves water as it comes to the facet the perfect temp.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Sp ... -Lead-Free

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 May 2017 09:48 
Skipper

Folks used to put bypass valves in the hoses to the water heater that you could adjust the amount of antifreeze actually going to the heater vs returning to the engine. I think this is an old fashioned method that only sort of works to lower the temp in the water heater, but, in most installations, it does lower the temp of water heater output. I would think that putting some temp output limiter would be good as the stuff does get awfully much hotter than you might like. Though it saves running the hot water faucet to have the supply lines hotter. There are shower head limiters and faucet safety limiters.
Just some thoughts and options.

Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 May 2017 11:38 
Skipper

Thanks for the replies. I am actually trying to reduce the temperature of the water in the water heater. After a run of several hours under power, even the high temperature hose is pushed to the limit (beyond the limit this past Saturday!). The engine runs well with close to 6,000 hours and I am not inclined to put in a colder thermostat. What we are doing now is shutting off the pressure water circuit breaker and depressurizing the system if we are running under power for an extended period. I guess that will do for now.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 17:09 
Skipper

The other way to go is a Temperature Compensation Valve or TCV, installed externally to the water heater. Takes a different approach in that it controls the amount of coolant running through the water heater, maintains a water output temp to about 130-140°F. Think Kuuma and Force 10 heaters have it installed as a option, or can be added.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email