Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W50 overheating after disconnecting waterheater

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W50 overheating after disconnecting waterheater
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017 08:30 
Rail Meat

Hello group,
I'm puzzled by an overheating issue.
Had to remove the water heater (Seaward Products unit, plumbed in "series" with engine freshwater cooling system) to
remove and replace an old, failed battery charger.
Prior to doing that, my W50 would run at 180 degs. Whether it was for 15 minutes or 15 hours. It would only creep above 180 if left at idle for an extended period. I've owned the boat for two years and thats always how its behaved.
After putting everything back together, the cooling temp will head north of 180 degrees in 6 or 7 minutes. It was easily past 200 and still climbing when I shut the engine down after first noticing the issue.
First thought was I had a leak. None found.
Next I suspected I had air trapped in the system. After everything cooled off, I left the pressure cap off the freshwater manifold tank and cracked the petcock on the thermosat housing and ran the engine below 1200 rpm for 10 minutes or so, looking for signs of gurgling air and burping fluid from either place. Nothing. Shut it down when the temp approached 200 and still climbing.
Raw water flow out the exhaust is normal. However, I can see no evidence of water flowing in the manifold tank. Seems like I should see some sort of flow?
I'm thinking either I'm not correctly addressing the airlock theory or I have somehow acquired a blockage. Time to do an entire cooling system flush?
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Scott
Prior Ties #273

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W50 overheating after disconnecting waterheater
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017 12:19 
Skipper

What you have is an air bubble in the water heater heat exchanger. There are "proper" ways to handle this but the way I did it was to run the engine very hard for a few minutes. This got the pump spinning fast and created enough pressure to push the bubble through. As noted though, there is, I am sure, a more "gentile" way of handling this issue. it has happened to me twice. Once when I replaced the fresh water pump about 15 years ago and the other more recently when I had the system drained for some other reason (can't remember why!).

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W50 overheating after disconnecting waterheater
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017 15:49 
Rail Meat

Well, I would love to hear what the "proper" ways are, but your way worked like a charm. I took the cap off the coolant tank, cracked the spigot on the thermostat and after a couple of minutes warm up treated the engine like a rented mule. To me that means 2500 rpm. 3 or 4 minutes. The temp went to 180 and stopped. Lowered the rpm, put the cap back on, bled the spigot a couple of times and after 30 minutes more running in gear around 2000 rpm, temp is 180. Problem solved. Although a freshwater coolant flush is needed I think....Thanks!

Profile Email