Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Coolant Expansion Tank Clog

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 03:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant Expansion Tank Clog
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017 18:12 
Skipper

Anyone ever had the port get clogged where the hose from the expansion tank to the overflow tank connects at the expansion tank? I noticed that the overflow tank level was never changing. No symptoms or problems, but I investigated and found the clog. I removed the hose and also the elbow fitting and cleaned them out, but I've been scraping inside the female port into the expansion tank, and it seems totally clogged.

Anyone know which way it goes so I know which way to scrape? Is it an elbow inside the expansion tank or just straight through? Or is there a hole going one way or another? I felt around with my finger inside the expansion tank but can't tell where the outlet is.

This is a W50.

Thanks for any help!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Coolant Expansion Tank Clog
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017 06:57 
Skipper

FWIW, the expansion tank on my W-50 was abandoned some 20 years ago. I have a 4 pound (maybe 7; can't remember for sure) regular radiator cap.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Coolant Expansion Tank Clog
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017 10:19 
Skipper

I can definitely see that. Mine has been totally clogged for at least a year with no known effects or symptoms.

I did fix it though this morning. Continued to scrape and dig with a wire. For anyone else trying this, it is straight through on the inside (no turn or elbow) and looks like a female flair. The small opening actually comes out inside the radiator cap area (where you can see), not deeper in the expansion tank. If I would have known that, could probably have scraped from both directions and got it quicker. Started the engine and now flowing.

Profile Email