Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Westerbeke 50 - Oil drain plug and Raw water pump

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westerbeke 50 - Oil drain plug and Raw water pump
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017 15:35 
Skipper

I am looking at replacing my motor mounts this spring and when I have the engine (1981 Westerbeke 50) raised I was going to replace the Oil Plug with a Fumoto oil valve. Has anyone done this and if so what valve did you use?

My raw water pump is difficult to get at and to replace the impeller as it faces aft. I actually have to remove it from the engine to get at it. Does anyone with a W50 have a forward facing access plate on their raw water pump and if so could you post photos?

Cheers

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Westerbeke 50 - Oil drain plug and Raw water pump
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017 16:35 
Skipper

My oil pan also has the fitting with a hose, that comes up to the injectors. Super easy and clean to change oil with a suction pump.

On the SW pump make the inlet and outlet hoses a little longer and to change the Impeller just remove the mounting bolts. Then tilt the pump to you the access the back.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017 21:41 
Skipper

I am not absolutely sure, but I believe that having an option to drain the oil from a bottom valve is illegal. This is why we have to pump the stuff out. Perhaps I have it wrong, but that is my understanding.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017 20:11 
Skipper

I don't think our engine sump (bath tub) qualifies as the bilge with respect to this regulation.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017 13:05 
Skipper

You're confusing working boats (fishing charter boats).... to private yacht owners

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017 20:34 
Skipper

I don't agree, Mike. I think the USCG rule applies to any vessel (USCG has a defiinition of vessel that is very broad) and I do not believe that you will have much luck claiming that the pan is not the bilge. You probably would not get caught cheating in a normal boarding by the USCG, but you might have trouble selling your boat if it gets a survey. You cannot have any way to drain oil or fuel where it can find its way to the bilge. It is a fundamental rule, not a detail.

I do not recall a specific question about this on my USCG Masters' renewal, but I do recall this as a given. Check with your surveyor.

Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017 06:45 
Skipper

The bilge contents have a designed pathway into the water. The engine sump does not. I don't know the law but I would argue that the engine sump is a separate container on the vessel. Since I cannot reach the drain plug on my W50 I only have to worry about the 2+ quarts that leak out over the course of the season! Ray's thorough and excellent write-up on replacing his W50 inspires me to keep mine running!

Profile Email