Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Parts for Westerbeke Model 50

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 04:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parts for Westerbeke Model 50
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017 11:47 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello all - Just installed my back-up fresh water pump (#23180) on my Westerbeke Model 50. Since I always keep a back-up, I contacted the Westerbeke parts distributor for Florida (RB Grove) to order a replacement and was told they did not have any in stock. They then checked the factory status, but there were none in stock. I asked about rebuilding the defective unit and they said only the raw water pumps can be rebuilt. I also asked about a possible alternative part and was told they did not know of any. They then told me they would contact the factory and let me know what they found out about availability. My engine is 37 years old, but runs great and has been extremely reliable over the past 17 years I have owned my Tartan 37. Seems parts for these older engines are becoming harder to find with less and less support from the manufacturer. Are others seeing the same problem in general and does anyone have a suggestion for my specific problem in finding a replacement pump.

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan - Hull 370

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Parts for Westerbeke Model 50
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017 17:36 
Skipper

you can still buy these pumps:
http://discountmarinesource.com/p-1785- ... 23180.aspx

costly but they can be had. You can still buy the Jabsco pumps also

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017 19:05 
Skipper

I guess at that price, I wouldn't keep one around as a spare. I am probably jinxing myself by posting but I replaced mine about 15 years ago or so with no problems since. Also, I don't think they fail "catastrophicly". I think the thing that fails is the seal causing a coolant leak. You have time to react as the motor still runs, you just have to add coolant. Repair requires pressing the impeller off the shaft to replace the seal. When I did mine, a new pump was more economical. with the new pump nearly $500, repair may be more viable.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017 22:27 
Skipper

Go get a 1979 MGB water pump. I bought one with a lifetime warranty for $39 ten years ago and it's a perfect match.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017 17:59 
Skipper

That is a fantastic lead. Thanks. It reminds me of the time I rebuilt my Venus Diesel engine in my last boat. Parts list from Vetus was around $2,800. Price from Staufer Diesel in Efreta, for the same engine but in a fork lift was around $1,200. Thanks again for the reference. The W-50 block is from a British taxi cab so it makes perfect sense.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017 19:09 
Midshipman

Makes sense. I was told my an engine surveyor in Annapolis that the Westerbeke 50 is a British Leyland engine. Westerbeke doesn't actually manufacture engines.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017 21:49 
Skipper

These guys are a good source for internal W50 parts. Used the Leyland BMC 1.8 as the base motor. With spares, should have a head gasket set, fuel lift pump, water pump and a few other things. Parts are starting to get harder to find. I rebuilt mine about 13 years ago, replaced everything including the crank (also an MGB), larger pistons, for under $3k.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/eu/engine ... 800-diesel

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017 07:28 
Skipper

I never new an MGB with a diesel motor. The water pump I can understand.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017 10:58 
Skipper

I don't think MGB made a diesel, but think short block is the same with different head.

When I was rebuilding my W50, I had seized the motor and the crank was scorned. This was the repower or rebuild part with used ones going for$2.5k. Took the crank to Chuck Botwright, in Va Beach who is a experienced Jag and MGB race motor builder. I shown him my crank and without even putting a hand on it he knew it was the same as a MGB and sold me a reconditioned one with bearings for $200. Found the diesel was used in the little black boxy English cabs, Land Rovers, and other marine engines. On my rebuild I didn't use one Westerbeke part. Marcus at Transatlantic Diesel was also a big help, he stocks non-Westerbeke parts.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017 11:35 
Midshipman

I think it's actually a perkins block. British all the same. I think westerbeke did their own marinization of perkins blocks to better allow them to sell them in U.S. (likely even some military contracts in there).
The 4-107 is a engine number used on both makes...

Profile Email