Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Parts for Westerbeke Model 50

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Parts for Westerbeke Model 50
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017 12:59 
Skipper

Westerbeke did make a 4-107 and based on the Perkins, but is a totally different motor than the W50. The W50 has more displacement, more hp and runs at higher RPM.

https://westerbeke.com/westerbekeengines.htm

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2017 08:09 
Midshipman

Yes... I did not mean to imply they were the same block. The question is did westerbeke use perkins blocks, or just whatever they found that suited the application they were looking for.
Perkins was the first builder of high speed small dispacement diesel engines starting around 1935. So they would have been a great source for small diesels before yanmar and Kubota took over. The MG diesels are not well known to us here in the states, but they list a model b series that was built from 1954-1980 in various sizes and in a diesel version. My guess is the different displacement models within that line could have supported the W30,W40,and W50. W-50 being 1.8 liters at 110ci.
I like finding this info as it does help locate parts much cheaper sometimes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMC_B-Series_engine

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2017 16:52 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks for the inputs. I'll try the alternate pump route first. FYI - I finally heard back from the distributor (RB Grove). They said the pump would be available in 4 weeks from the factory, cost is $472.69 + shipping. I also spent some time discussing future availability of parts for the W50 with the parts mgr. He basically said that they don't know any more than we do, but it is not unusual to get a NLA (no longer available) notice from the factory on these parts ...... which isn't bad since other manufacturers stop parts support after 10 - 15 years. His advice was pretty simple - call when I need a part (with the part number from the parts manual of course) and they would let me know availability. Also, if they do not have a "kit" available, they may have individual parts that make-up the kit, i.e. gaskets.

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2017 17:48 
Midshipman

Just figured out that W-40 is in fact a perkins 4-107 block.
W-50 could be the BMC model B (MG/British Leyland) which would make sense from the story of the mechanic using MG crank.
The two engines don't seem to share any dimensions or parts in common.
I have a W-40 which is why I dug deeper on this one...
You get 3 more cubic inches, 200 more RPM for 31 additional pounds on a W-50.
I think the horsepower is a difference of about 8 or 9 (the 40 and 50 don't actually designate the HP on the models... go figure.)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017 11:50 
Able Bodied Seaman

New update - Before I started looking for an alternate pump, I contacted the Westerbeke distributor for the west coast of FL. To my surprise, they said they had a fresh water pump in stock for my M50. To my greater surprise, they said the price was almost 40% less than quoted by the distributor on the east coast ($472 vs $299) - maybe it was a part they had in stock for a while?? Still expensive, but already being painted red has to be worth something! The serious take-away from this is that Westerbeke distributors apparently do not communicate among themselves concerning inventory available in the field. Guess I'll plan on calling multiple distributors when I need part(s) in the future.

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017 22:26 
Skipper

I won't be buying a Westerbeake pump (when I next need one) before I take a $50 or less chance on an aftermarket part from my MG parts catalog.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017 08:02 
Rail Meat

i just did our feshwater pump on our w50 landed here in australia for 100 pounds sterling from asap supplies great service fast delivery and cheap bmc 1800 diesel leyland also marinated to be a thornycroft 108 canal boat engine
https://www.asap-supplies.com/catalogse ... water+pump

Profile Email