Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Sound proofing

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sound proofing
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015 06:50 
Skipper

Has anyone bothered to sound proof the engine compartment? With the layout and lazarettes I really wonder if there is any benefit to having sound proofing on two sides of the engine. I have a W50

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Sound proofing
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015 07:04 
Skipper

I put sound proofing on the forward hatch, top of the compartment, port side and starboard side as best I could. It improved engine noise levels in the cabin, which was my objective. Not great but noticeable. Noise levels were also improved in the cockpit. Probably would be better if I put sound proofing on the removable panel in the stbd Lazarette but I remove that panel often to service the engine and the sound improvement would not justify the inconvenience.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Sound proofing
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2015 06:13 
Skipper

I soundproofed the compartment the best I could with the dedicated sound material : http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... 5&id=95982

For the aft end of the compartment, I built a removable plywood panel on which I added the insulation. All in all, it helped a fair amount, but sound still reverberates into the bilge and vibrations from the engine mount/fiberglass pan into the hull. Several things I plan on doing which will help: new engine mounts (vibration), adjust valve clearances (loud tapping noise, airborne), Add an air intake filter(reduce airborne noise) OR...................turn off the engine!!!
I have a W-40. I was told by a mechanic that I could attach a heavy walled hose of the appropriate diameter to the air intake and snake it through aft somewhere and this will greatly reduce the noise from the engine............haven't tried it yet but sounds interesting (no pun intended)

Profile Email