Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - tachometer & amp meter question

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 00:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tachometer & amp meter question
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014 18:25 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi
When I first start my engine my amp meter reads correctly going up in amps as I increase rpm's. After a few minutes my meter drops down to about 10 amps and starts bouncing between 0 and 10 amps. The "bounce" corresponds to the voltage meter which "bounces" as well. The "bounce" is deliberate not changing it's rate over time. I have replaced the voltage regulator, rebuilt the alternator and it still happens. My one thought is that I have different battery sizes and types ( wet cell & maintenance free ) in my battery system. Could the difference in battery types cause this? Also
My tach has developed a "ghost" lately. At times it runs fine then it also starts bouncing around almost in sync with the amp meter...but it only bounces sometime with no apparent reason as to what set's it off....
The previous owner removed the tach wire from the alternator and used a Teleflex 1A96042 sending unit off of the engine, which has worked fine for the last few years .
Going to start troubleshooting these issues soon and wonder if anybody has any thoughts...
thanks
bill

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: tachometer & amp meter question
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014 23:33 
Skipper

I'm not familiar with the Telleflex unit but my first thought would be to return the control of the tach to the alternator. If that doesn't correct it, run the system on only one good battery, then check all grounds.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015 07:31 
Skipper

Assuming the readings are correct with the bounce it would indicate your charging from the alternator is pulsing. Pushing juice into the batts, then stopping for a bit, repeat. That would bounce the ammeter, and the voltage would bounce from batt voltage to charging voltage. (say 13.5v to 12v)

I would first verify that the readings are correct by hooking up a multimeter to the battery poles to see if the voltage is really cycling. Can't really check the current, but if one is true, it's safe to say both are.

If the readings are correct, I can't imagine that's good for your electrical system. And it sounds like your alternator is freaking out but you rebuilt so I'd be stumped at that point. Because I'd say voltage regulator too. But I'll agree with previous poster and check your batteries next. When they start to die, they strangest symptoms can appear. Charging a bad battery can look pretty odd sometimes.

So isolate each and see if things run smoother. I have a combiner so the only way I could do just house would be to disconnect the starter.
Good luck!

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015 09:51 
Skipper

ditto checking your grounds.... mine was doing the same until I beefed up the alternator ground.

Profile Email