Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Filters and Fluids, etc...

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Filters and Fluids, etc...
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015 22:49 
Skipper

I just noticed that the pictures show a Racor 500 filter and I think a lot of Tartans had this as a factory install. Just a note to those who have them, the spare filters in the pictures look fine, but if you buy new ones, you will need and adapter available for free from the Parker folks. This was in a largely ignored service bulletin years back and the Racor folks modified the filter elements around 2004 so that they are shorter on the inside (compare them) and need a rubber spacer on the bottom. Jim, I think you bought my old one from me and I sent some spacers with the spares if I remember correctly.

I do not use an additive, but I do not think it can hurt.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015 10:10 
Skipper

More and more great info. Thanks!

So, in working around the engine this weekend, we didn't get to changing the fuel filter, but we decided to identify all the bleed points and more or less identify all the different parts of the engine. I looked at the manual as well as Tom Wells instructions from the Tech Resources. Well, after much reading and looking, we still didn't feel comfortable that we knew exactly where B, C, and D were on the injector pump body. First question, are they all little small bolt heads (all same size and look alike and 8 or 9 mm)? If those are them, then I think I know which ones are which. That was our first inclination, but then we started second guessing ourselves. For instance, there was something in the manual that made us think bleed point B was actually loosening the fastener that holds the incoming line from the secondary fuel filter to the pump, and then we started noticing other bolt heads "near the fuel pressure sensor" and other bolt heads "near the lines to the injectors". Are they all the same size bolt heads, different sized, different types of fasteners, which are further forward, which way do they point, etc? Any tips or info is appreciated. Thanks, Zach

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015 14:55 
Skipper

Attached is a Service Bulletin Westerbeke sent me a few years back. This describes their procedure for bleeding the engine and has a clearer representation of the bleed points.

Attachments:
SB130-1.jpg
SB130-1.jpg [ 986.83 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
SB130-2.jpg
SB130-2.jpg [ 827.82 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
SB130-3.jpg
SB130-3.jpg [ 831.55 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015 08:18 
Skipper

I ditto whoever said leave the transmission fluid alone. Just check the level and be done with it on a timely basis.

From experience..... pull the hose off the exhaust mixing tube every 4-6 months and use a wire to clean it out,,,, even if there is no over-heating problems. I think it would be a good preventative measure. The increase in back pressure due to a narrowing exhaust tube will cause several things to fail and when it does you'll be chasing your tail to figure out why.

Keep your diesel tank full OR install a device called http://h2out.com/ which will keep humidity from building up in your fuel tank. Once water starts to build up in the bottom of your fuel tank it's just a matter of time before a small hole/leak will form. Drain the bottom of your racor filter bulb every time you change racor filters.

If your boat stays in salt water, rig up T switch on your engine water intake so you can hook up a water hose. Flush your engine from time to time, maybe just as you head home for a week or so. Let that fresh water sit in your engine to keep the salt deposits down. If you have AC, do the same to that system at least every 6 months to a year to kill the little critters that build up.

Everything else is in the maintenance manual as stated in the previous posts.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015 08:41 
Skipper

Thanks Jim. Looks like the points we originally identified were the ones.

Thanks Mike. I've read the exhaust cleaning mentioned quite a few times. For clarification, can someone describe the point I will be wanting to pull the hose off from and what exactly I am cleaning (the hose or a certain part). Thanks

Ray, after reading your advice on the pick up tube, the tank sensor, and the fuel tank, I pulled up my quarter berth cushion and took a good look at what I can see of the fuel tank for the first time. All I have is one little maybe 6 X 8 inch window in the wood to look at it and can't see much of the tank at all. I did see a date stamped on a sticker of 1979, so it is original. I noticed quite a few tubes/lines there and wasn't sure what was what. Should have taken a picture. I'm assuming the pick up tube is the small metal tube that has the cut off switch and goes directly to the filter. Is that right? If memory serves me, there was also another small metal tube further forward. What was that? Then there was a larger black hose. What was that? I also had a fuel gauge on top of the tank that appeared to read more accurate than the one in the cockpit which I was glad to find. Seems like it was in line and continued to the gauge in the cockpit if I'm remembering right. I'm guessing that is the tank sensor that I should remove to pump out the crud? Or is it one of the other attachment lines/hoses? Anything else pertinent up there I should be aware of?

Thanks, Zach

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015 09:08 
Skipper

Zack, the elbow is reference #28 in the attached, the hose is ref#26

Attachments:
Coolingsystem.pdf [2.22 MB]
Downloaded 21 times

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015 09:51 
Skipper

Thanks Mike. I know where that is. Thinking I may be scratching the surface of understanding this diesel "stuff". Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015 10:26 
Skipper

Hey Ray, a quick search on the internet, and I couldn't find anything on the adapter for the fuel filter. Is this something I need to call in and ask about or does anyone have a link? I checked the Parker site and couldn't find anything. Is it something I will reuse through multiple filter changes or change regularly needing roughly one per filter?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015 23:39 
Skipper

I am surprised you cannot find the notice on the internet. Maybe it is not that important. I sent a note via the internet to the Parker folks and they sent me the adapters. I am wondering if they are actually necessary. I no longer have that type of Racor as I have repowered. Maybe Jim can comment as I sent him my old Racor, filters and adapters and he is quite familiar with the set up.

I am going to suggest that you pull off the elbow if your engine had more than 1000 hours on it and replace it. I replaced mine and it was 30% blocked about 1000 hours later when I took the engine out and repowered. I think this is the second most ignored maintenance item after alignment on most boats.

Yest that tube with the valve on it is the intake. The other line is the return line from the diesel as the pump always is providing a surplus of fuel to the engine and it is returned to the tank. You can take the top elbow off and just ram a small dowel down there and remove the screen. It won't hurt anything down there. You can pull the sending unit out and pump from that lowest point to get the water and crud out of your tank. If you remember to shut off the valve here when changing filters, you will find you will have to do very little (or no) bleeding of the engine when chenging filters--if you get the filters full and loosen the injectors so the air gets out there rather than chasing it through all the places in the pump. A trick a mechanic taught me that seems to work on lots of diesels.

Wish I had had this list about 20 years ago. Would have saved me a lot of headaches and money.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015 08:01 
Skipper

My memory is a little vague on this but I replace my Racor filter element every year and the one I purchase fits fine. It looks like the spare elements that Zach has are longer than the elements now available so if his Racor filter housing is the same as mine then the newer elements will need a spacer to make up for the shorter length. I can't be certain but I believe I got the spacer when I first purchased the shorter version in the time frame of the length change. I do know that spacers are no longer supplied with new elements. My advice would be to pull out the currently installed element and compare it to the length of the currently available unit. If the currently installed element is longer then you will need the spacer if you install the newer elements.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next