Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Folding prop benefits

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Folding prop benefits
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007 07:48 
Midshipman

My '77 ( new to me in the last month) still has the original W40, transmission and prop. There is a second prop, a folding Martec which the original owner used, but the previous owner switched back to the original prop. His comemnt to me was that it seemed to push the boat too fast and he wasn't comfortable that it wasn't harming the engine or transmission. I haven't yet dug it out of the locker, so I don't know it's spec's - other than it's at least 22 years old.
I'm curious about others experience with folding props on the T37. There should be some sailing and motoring performance enhancement, but is there any benefit to maneuverability under power around the docks - forward or reverse? I'm discovering that it's sometimes difficult to swing the bow through the wind at low speeds, or to back to starboard.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Doug

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Folding prop benefits
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007 21:00 
Skipper

http://www.merlinmortgage.biz/Storage/propeller.pdf

Here?s a interesting link to a study done at MIT with Practical Sailor.

We really like our AutoProp...and maneuvering around in the tight quarters we have I think the Autoprop is the trick. Don?t be afraid to burst the throttle. We have 44' overall and its 38' from our piling to the T pier behind us...crazy
Frustrating

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007 11:28 
Midshipman

The Practical Sailor review gave a lot of good info on folding, feathering, and fixed props.

Feathering and folding props have less thrust than a fixed prop. You will never hurt your engine with a folding prop, as I dont think you can fit an oversized prop big enough to do any harm.

Auto-prop seemed to have the best overall performance in the PS tests, but Maxprop was close behind. I had a Maxprop for 10 years on my former boat, but I wore one out on the Tartan in 6 years. I now have a Seahawk folding prop that is even better.

The PS tests indicate the feathering props have less thrust in both directions at twice the cost. Why buy one?

The drag on a fixed prop is too great to consider racing with one. This should be a concern for cruisers as well. Of course we seem to spend 75% of our time motoring.

Folding props are good, geared folding props are even better.

Jammin' #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007 11:29 
Midshipman

Excuse me, I meant Martec. I don't know where "Maxprop" came from.

Jammin'

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007 07:57 
Skipper

I have a Martec Autostream 3 blade 17" feathering propeller on my T37 for 8 years. No problems. Externally adjustable by diving on it. Added about .6 of a knot to sailing and backs beautifully. You can install it yourself. Just watched a technician dismantle and adjust a Max Prop--glad I did not buy one of those--the gears look really wimpy and it has to be hauled and completely disassembled to adjust it.

Profile Email