Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Raw Water Exhaust Elbow Vent

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 20:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raw Water Exhaust Elbow Vent
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2014 18:43 
Able Bodied Seaman

My raw water exhaust elbow vent has a professionally attached small copper tube that goes from the vent at the top of the elbow to a bronze fitting on the top of one of the scupper drain thruhulls. No vent valve, a thin stream of water goes under pressure to the ocean when the engine is running. The largest portion of the exhaust water burps out the back as normal.

What's going on? This arrangement seems like there is no siphon break to the engine when it is not running. The installation is well done and deliberate but I think it is wrong. Could this be the factory setup? Are any other T37s set up this way or was it a misguided PO? Or is my assumption about no siphon break wrong?

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Raw Water Exhaust Elbow Vent
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014 06:11 
Skipper

Doesn't sound right. What engine do you have?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014 08:55 
Skipper

On my '80, the cockpit scupper drains exit the hull above the waterline. How much difference between number 16 and 287? Can't imagine that Tartan moved the drain thru hulls during the production run. But I don't know. Anyway, your system would work for my boat. It sounds lots better than what I have which is just a piece of tubing routed down towards the bilge in front of the engine pad.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014 10:22 
Skipper

Funny,I was thinking of doing something similar. I would guess it was done that way by a previous owner to get around the problem of having a syphon check valve which can fail. A permanent small tube would,I think, be less likely to fail,a result of which could be water in the engine. Bruce. [maybe its a KISS method !]

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014 22:13 
Able Bodied Seaman

Tortuga's Lie: Westerbeke 40 from the mid 70's.

WayneH: Maybe I didn't explain correctly -- my scupper drains do exit the hull above the waterline. It is the tube from the elbow that connects to the top of one of the drain thruhulls that concerns me.

Timshel: Interesting. Every other PO mod on this boat is done very well, overbuilt. Are you saying having a little permanent stream go overboard from the top of the elbow is OK and in fact better than the usual plastic check valve? It is always open to the air when the engine is not running which indeed breaks any siphon. What about when the boat is heeled and the thruhull is underwater?

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014 06:44 
Skipper

John,
I also have a W-40, 1977 hull #59.
My raw water system looks this: raw water enters through the seacock, goes through a strainer then onto the water pump, exits to the heat exchanger where there is a hose to/from oil cooler and another hose that exits to the vent loop then onto the exhaust mixing elbow where the water then exits the boat. It does not vent to the cockpit drain. I do however, have a 3/4" hose connected to the scupper drain but this is from an electric bilge pump.

I have seen a diagram for a "Hydo-Hush" muffler system that vents to a scupper drain in the Westerbeke 40 Technical Manual, page 10. Lets see if I can upload an image or file.................ok, it's attached

Attachments:
020502 Technical Manual WB 40-WPDS Ed. 8.pdf [5.94 MB]
Downloaded 60 times

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014 09:08 
Able Bodied Seaman

Your system is exactly the same as mine except the vent loop has a nipple and tube exiting to the scupper drain instead of having a valve. I am beginning to think this is a good modification.

Wow! The entire W40 tech manual -- maybe the site admin should put it in a more conspicuous place for all.

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014 11:06 
Skipper

John-
I have a W50 and have the raw water vent exactly as you described. I'm hull #191. Pictures are attached.

Attachments:
20140905_115120.jpg
20140905_115120.jpg [ 1.65 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
20140905_115115.jpg
20140905_115115.jpg [ 2.05 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014 12:47 
Skipper

Jim & John
I definitely do not have this arrangement on Tortuga's Lie. My vented loop has a spring loaded valve that is open to the air (well above the waterline) and does not have a copper tube attached to the scupper drain. This valve needs checking from time to time for saltwater crystal build-up which may affect the operation of the spring. Are your boats Ohio boats or North Carolina? Mine's a NC boat.....Interesting thread to learn of the variances in the boat.

Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014 16:47 
Able Bodied Seaman

My boat came from the Chesapeake and now resides in RI. My installation uses different parts than Jim's pictures show but is functionally the same. So it isn't a factory installation. Some PO's knew enough to rig it up but curiously I don't recall seeing it in the literature (Calder, et al). Well, I'll go look again...

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email