Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Diesel fuel leak in engine.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel fuel leak in engine.
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014 18:47 
Skipper

I recently had a lot of work done to my electrical system due to a lightening strike last summer. The shop doing that work suddenly let me know I now had a diesel fuel leak on the starboard side of the engine (W50). They sent the injector pump away for repair and billed me $935 for the repair as it was apparently due for a rebuild anyway. Now I still find I have a fuel leak on that side of the engine. The fuel appears very clean and over an hour of fairly normal engine use I have about a pint of fuel in the engine bilge (white tub under the engine). I have no problem starting and as of this point the engine has not shown signs of air in the fuel line.

Any ideas where to start looking? I am thinking it would be after the lift pump and before injector pump but my knowledge is very limited.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Diesel fuel leak in engine.
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014 06:41 
Skipper

You have a relatively large leak, which should be easy to pinpoint. I'd start by placing paper towels flat under the engine in the 'tub.' Run the engine and locate the general vicinity of the leak from the drip pattern left on the paper towels. Having removed my injector pump a few times I've found from my experience that it's likely that one of the many connections may have not been completely tightened. Once you locate it (or them) tighten it. I've found a tubing flare nut wrench works best.

Moving on, check the lift pump. I've had leaks at its connectors and at the diaphragm joint.

Now I have a very small leak (about a tablespoon after an hour) that comes from leaky threads from a fuel return line on the injection pump. Specifically, it's attached on the pump's mounting flange. I've removed the pump once to correct it. It's much better now and just an aggravation. Because it's so small, I've decided to ignore it. The rest of the fuel system is leak tight.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2014 11:36 
Able Bodied Seaman

I had a simliar leak. Found several things like cracked injector line (bought new one from Westerbeke), injector pump leaking (rebuilt approx $700), and banjo bolts that were leaking (replaced). Eventually its all good. Very frustrating though and of course ruined 4th of July weekend plans. Ahh, the joy of boating.
Subsequent to this I also found the oil cooler was leaking, it had cracked where the mounting tad was silver soldered to the copper. Repaired but should have just bought new. Both end caps popped off too because they were lead soldered on... so that had to be redone... Fixed now.

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2014 22:56 
Skipper

jvoelxen wrote:
Having removed my injector pump a few times I've found from my experience that it's likely that one of the many connections may have not been completely tightened. Once you locate it (or them) tighten it. I've found a tubing flare nut wrench works best.

Definitely have them do a warranty check or try it yourself. When I reassembled my injection pump, I had to chase leaks from a couple fittings that just needed that extra bit of torque. Classic starboard side leaks on the W50 would be the injectors, injector line fittings at the injection pump, and I know I had to torque the fitting at the fuel filter a couple times to stop the drips.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email