Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rusty sediment in the coolant?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rusty sediment in the coolant?
PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016 15:24 
Rail Meat

After about 8 month of ownership I noticed rusty sediment in the coolant overflow canister and its clear hose, I purged the system with distilled water until it was clean, I then refilled it with a quality premixed 50/50 antifreeze.

Now 6 month later it's back? ..Anyone have any ideas?

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rusty sediment in the coolant?
PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016 19:05 
Skipper

Well, you either have some mild steel in there someplace or you did not get it all with the first try. The bolts for the heat exchanger are all mild steel and could be weeping into the path, and a little rust is going to show up and look like more. I recall having the same problem, never conclusively finding the source, but beating it afte a couple complete flushes. I used a garden hose hooked to city water in reverse flow. Lots of water and it took a lot to get it clear. Then blew out the lines with compressed air and filled it. No more problems.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016 14:00 
Rail Meat

That's what I'm hoping for it to be, thanks!!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2016 14:58 
Rail Meat

Update:
Well, the water pump started leaking antifreeze through the shaft seal, after replacing it and topping off the coolant, rust is not now accumulating in the overflow, I'll keep an eye on it, but maybe the pump seal was rusting.?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2016 19:02 
Skipper

I've got a fairly new Yanmar and was seeing coolant discoloration. So I did a cleaning with oxalic acid, a neutrilization and fresh "red" anti-freeze. I'm thinking that this is most likely something that should be done every few years.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2016 18:40 
Skipper

I would not recommend oxalic acid as a flushing agent as it is particularly corrosive to metals. Yanmars have some exotic alloys in their heat exchangers which is a great benefit to their performance and longevity, but I am not sure how they would respond to acids. I believe the service manual for my 3JH4E specifically prohibits using strong acid or alkaline cleaners. Having said that, I used to get the troublesome heat exchanger on my old Westerbeast blown out at a radiator shop periodically and I think they used muriatic acid to flush it, but that unit was copper and they were not running acid through the whole block with all those gaskets, bearings, and differing metals when they were flushing and testing it. Also my physician friend says to wear gloves around oxalic acid as it is absorbed quickly and goes right to your liver. Oxalic acid is great for removing rust stains from fiberglass.
FWIW.

Ray Durkee
Velera
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2016 07:38 
Skipper

Please allow me to amend my post: should have said "I had the cooling system serviced". The work was done by Deatons Yacht Service in Oriental, NC. I believe that they're one of the more knowledgable outfits in business, particularly as pertains to Yanmar diesels. Indicative of Deatons' dynamic business model is their incorporation of a "man-lift" to facilitate repairs and installations of the mast. Imagine how much more productive you can be doing tasks 50' feet up from a platform rather than a bosuns chair. I consider them to be a really fine boat yard.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2016 09:04 
Rail Meat

::UPDATE::water heater w/ engine heating element.

Profile Email