Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - prop question for westerbeke 40

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: prop question for westerbeke 40
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014 18:17 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi
I wonder what is the correct 3 bladed prop for my westerbeke 40.
thanks
bill

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: prop question for westerbeke 40
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014 09:09 
Skipper

I realize they are expensive, but a three blade feathering prop that is externally adjustable is what I use. I found that every boat is just a bit different in how it is loaded, each engine has a big different torque, and each bottom has different friction, and that will affect the needed pitch. So it is really a very big advantage to be able to tweak pitch without having to remove it and take it to a prop shop. David Gerr's "Propeller Handbook" is the resource on this matter, but my experience is that calculations based on "averages" of engine torque, weight of boats, hull shapes, etc. do not come very close to optimal pitch. I used Gerr's book for my original settings and needed to adjust my pitch several subsequent times to get it right. You want to be able to reach max rpm at max hull speed or you will be slowly destroying your diesel with lugging. My stock prop was grossly over pitched and probably contributed to the demise of my W50.

You want to swing the biggest prop you can---I have a 17" Autostream (by Martec) which is less expensive than the other feathering, but has proven to be very strong and effective in my 15 years of ownership and extensive cruising. Pitch determination is the big thing for making sure you do not lug your engine and damage it.

You probably know this but hauling a three blade fixed prop will slow you down by something like .6 of a knot (my two blade did that much so I would imagine it would be significantly more for a three blad) in sailing. A fixed curved blade will be slightly (very slightly according to a recent MIT study) more efficient than the flat blades of a feathering prop, but the tradeoffs are there.

More than you wanted to know, but i wish I had known more about this when I bought my boat. I might have been able to save an engine replacement. I think my feathering prop is one ot the best investments I have made in my boat.

Ray
#373 Velera

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014 12:48 
Skipper

Check out the Campbell Sailor prop as well...http://www.westbynorth.com/

I have a autostream 16" I think but not certain

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2014 08:52 
Skipper

I have a kiwi prop and it is excellent. Take a look at www.kiwiprops.com Totally user serviceable and you can get spare blades but I have not had to use mine in 6 years of cruising the North Channel with all it's rocks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2014 19:42 
Skipper

Another thumbs up for the Kiwi (albeit not coupled to the Westy 40). It flat gets her done!
"Aurora"

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2014 07:16 
Skipper

Kiwi Prop also for about 7 years on my W40!

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014 06:52 
Skipper

Speaking of props and engines, what speed are you getting at say 2200 rpms? I have a W-40 with a two blade folding prop 16 X 12

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014 21:31 
Able Bodied Seaman

I'm pretty sure I need to get a new prop. The size I have now is 15"X11". If I am bucking into any size seas I slow down to 3 knots at 2400rpm ( or even worse ). I have had boats in the past with adjustable props but I'm thinking of getting a three blade fixed prop. I just wonder if there is a "normal"size for a Tartan 37 with a westebeke 40.
thanks
bill

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014 23:28 
Able Bodied Seaman

what size prop do you use? anybody.....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2014 20:47 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello guys;
On Nemea I have an 16 in. feathering 3 blades prop made by Max-Prop ajusted at 18 deg. of pitch with a Beta 38 engine with 2,41:1 trans.
My cruising speed is 6.5 knots with engine rev at 2700 rpm; about 7.5 kt at full engine speed (3600 rpm).
Hope that this is helping;
Have a nice end of season all;
JD

Hull #162
YCQ, Qu?bec City, QC, Canada

Profile Email